Chapter 21.

Norman's obsession

Chapter 21.

Ken's statement haunted me for the rest of the week.

Ken has been a source of mystery for the whole of Jacksonville. Even though Ken and I went to the same high school – I know very little about him and so did the rest of the student body – and so did the teachers. Ken was the mysterious one in our school – the kind that you will come across in the hallway every other day but still know nothing about. Everyone knew that Ken and his mother moved into the neighborhood in the middle of our freshmen year – for some unknown reasons. We knew they moved to Jacksonville from some big city – we knew that they were struggling to make their ends meet – but other than that we know absolutely nothing about him.

The arrival of Stuart's mother and son duo has been a source of constant controversy and gossip in our small town but – we accepted them with open arms.

Mrs. Stuart had a sweet tooth for my mother's Turkish delights so she became a regular customer in our bakery. My mother always made sure to keep some of those extra-sweet to meet Mrs. Stuart's taste.

Despite my mother and Mrs. Stuart being close friends – we still know nothing about her and his son – who isolates himself from everyone.

"So Norman is taking you to the movies?" Mia asked – sprawled on my bed with a sketchbook in her hand.

"That's what he said," I replied as I brushed my hair to free it from all those knots and she just hummed in response.

"Where's Ryan?" I asked her.

"Out – busy in some kind of college project,"

Ding – Dong

"He's here," Mia squealed kneeling on my bed.

"Why are you so excited – it's me going on a date?"

"You are my best friend," she said with a duh tone and I just rolled my eyes at her reply. I grabbed my sling bag and walked out of my bedroom – with a giddy Mia hot on my trails – to open the door.

I opened the door to a dashing Norman – looking exquisite even in a pair of simple jeans, a plain white Tee, and a bomber jacket.

Why does he always like a model ready for a ramp walk? It's just not fair. For God's sake please look like an average guy for at least one – so I can feel a little better about myself.

"Good evening love – you look beautiful today – what am I even saying, you always look beautiful," he said and gave me one of his breath-taking smiles and I swear that my heart just skipped a couple of beats.

Can someone hear my heart beating furiously? If it jumps out of my chest – please help me find it.

"You look great too," I said while trying hard to control my blushing. Hardest task.