Chapter 11.

"I want a proper report of the book- describing the plot, character development, and character sketch and don't even think about copying and pasting from the Internet. I will reject your assignment if I came to know about it. The assignment should be emailed to my email account by the end of the week, if it does not reach by the deadline then say goodbye to your good grades." The professor declared with a firm voice. The whole class groaned out in frustration at the professor's statement.

I just let out a loud huff and packed my belongings.
How does he think that we will be able to do all that in one week, but we had to do it anyway?

"Hey Melissa, do you think that you will be able to complete the assignment on time?" A girl named Beth asked me as we exited the literature class.

"I have no idea if I'll be able to complete the assignment but we don't have any other option," I said truthfully.

I honestly have no idea how we are going to do this in 5 days- with work and other assignments but I have to do it anyway if I don't want to fail.

"Do you want to go out tonight for a movie, I've heard that they are showing a good romantic comedy one?" she said with excitement laced in her voice as she casually walked beside me.

"I'm sorry I can't. I have work today and I have to start working on the assignment, some other time." I explained to her.

"M'kay, don't worry about it," she said and we both parted our ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a peaceful evening. The sun was slowly setting behind the horizon. Only a few people were sitting around us at the tables of the little coffee shop. After all who wanted to drink coffee this late in the day? A gentle breeze was blowing and outside there was no constant hoking of the cars. So, all in all, the environment was quite careful.

"Damn! I can't do this anymore." Alicia, my co-worker exasperated. I looked up from my book and gave her a questioning look. She just gestured towards the newspaper and told me that she was trying to solve the crossword. I just rolled my eyes at her dramatic behavior and got back to my book.

You must be thinking that what I'm doing here? Well, let me clarify it for you. I got a call from Mrs. Julia, the day after I submitted the form. She told me to stop by the coffee shop so we can discuss my salary and work hours. The offer was good so I decided to accept it. So fast forward, here I am working at Mrs. Julia's coffee shop.

"So... I saw your application....and it said that tomorrow's you're birthday...So any special plans since it's the weekend?" Alicia asked me finally giving up on solving the crossword.
"You see Alicia, I don't like going out much. My friends/roommates were pestering me all month to throw a birthday party but I don't like doing anything big for my birthday. I would rather stay home, watching movies with popcorns and ice cream in my pajamas is my perfect way of celebrating my birthday. I just... miss my mom and dad. This will be my first birthday away from them." My voice lowered at the end. She shook her head and gave me a sympathetic smile and was about to respond when the little bell at the door rang signaling a customer had entered. She left to attend to the customer and I got back to my book, which was prescribed by the college for the assignment. Until now I have covered only half of the book. I don't know if I'll be able to complete the assignment.

~~~~~~~~~~

Finally! I have finally finished reading the whole book. Now all I need to do- is take notes and then I will start working on the assignment. I closed my book and noticed that the cafe was almost empty and it was quite late. I quickly gathered my things and walked out of the coffee shop after I  bade goodbye to Mrs. Julia and Alicia.