Chapter 4

That Saturday Molly was coming over as a celebration of her and Lulu making the soccer team. She was also sleeping over, and as Lulu and I waited by the door for her to arrive, I silently prayed that anybody but Dr. Pomater would be dropping Molly off. Just then I heard a car door slam shut and footsteps running up to the door, followed by a male voice I knew all too well calling "Molly, wait!" I sighed out loud. Great. "What's wrong Mama?" Lulu asked. " Oh, nothing." I replied. "I'm just a little tired, that's all." Just then the door bell rang. "She's here!" Lulu cried out excitedly. "Well, open it." I said with a small smile. Lulu opened the door to a very excited Molly and a nervous looking Dr. Pomater, holding her bags. "Hi Lulu!" Molly said. "Hi!" Lu replied. "This is my Mama, say hi Mama." " Hi." "And this is my Dad." Said Molly. "Hi Lulu." Dr. Pomater said. " It's very nice to meet you." "Let's go to my room!" Lulu said as she led Molly inside. Molly grabbed her bags and raced after Lulu, leaving Dr. Pomater and I alone in the doorway. "So our girls are sports stars." He said. "Yes, it seems they are." I replied.
We stood in silence for around 5 minutes until I finally said "So, how are you?" "Oh, I'm.... good." He replied. "You?" "Great, actually. How's that wife of yours?" I asked. "Oh, she..... left me." Dr. Pomater said sadly. "God, I'm sorry. What happened?" "Francine's a very high strung, independent person." He replied. "It's not that we didn't get along, but we just felt better being friends than in a relationship. She also didn't really want kids either,"He explained. "so she left a little after Molly was born and moved back to Connecticut. We get joint custody, and she sees her for 2 weeks during the summer and every other Christmas/Easter." " Oh, that's.... nice." I said after a little while. "Well it's been nice talking with you Dr. Pomater but-" "Please, Jenna. Call me Jim." "Okay, Jim. It's been nice talking with you but I should probably go check on the girls." "Would-would you like to go out for coffee sometime?" Dr. Pom- I mean Jim asked me. "As friends, I mean." "Oh yeah, I'd love to." I replied. "Great. There's a Starbucks near where I live, so we can meet there." "Oh yeah definitely, that works." "Ok, well I should probably go." Jim told me. "Can we discuss this more when I come pick Molly up?" "Yes, we can." "Well, bye." I told him. "Bye." He replied.
As I watched Dr. Jim Pomater, OB/GYN drive away, I thought Oh Jenna, what bad idea have you gotten yourself into now? But then another thought struck my head. Hey, what if this "bad idea" is actually pretty good after all?