Chapter 25

I stood in the kitchen, watching Lulu. She was laying on the couch, watching TV. I took a deep breath and walked over too her. Either now or never. "Hey Lu." I said, sitting down next to her. "Hi." She responded. "Now um, it's totally up to you, and I know it's kinda soon, but, if you want, would you mind telling me what happened?" Lulu sighed. "Can you go first?" She asked. "Can you tell me what happened?" "Can I-Yes, I can." I took another deep breath, I've been taking a lot lately.
       "Dear baby. You wanna know the story of how I bought your crib? Well, I'll tell you. The Springfield Pie Bake-off was starting that next week, and you and I where not in attendance. My momma didn't have a lot of money, and neither did my daddy. Now, this was the late 70's in the deep south, so girls weren't really going to college, unless you where rich. So my momma graduated high school and married my daddy one month later. My daddy was not a very nice man, and my momma new that from the start, but she couldn't just leave him, her family wouldn't let her. So she married him, and she put up with him for two whole miserable years. Then, momma got pregnant, with me. She hopped learning he was gonna be a father would change daddy, but it didn't. He told her to just live with it and he went right back to drinking. So momma carried me for 9 months, and then I came into the world, and changed hers forever. Suddenly she had some small, beautiful hope that things might be okay. She named me Jenna Louise, a name she found in a book, and brought me home. She cared for me and took pictures and taught me the art of pies. She raised with the hope I wouldn't turn out like her. And, for awhile, it seemed she was succeeding. In high school I met a man who I thought was nice, but I guess I was wrong. He bought me roses, danced with me, everything he was supposed to do. But after we got married, he changed. He started to drink more often, he went out too late, and couldn't keep a job. He would hit me if I made him mad, call me bad names, and make me do other things. And I was sorry to say I turned out just like momma didn't want me too. I had failed her. But I wasn't determined to live out her and I's dream of owning a pie shop, and having enough money to leave that man's sorry a**. One day, nine miserable years later, I received a small glimmer of hope. There was a pie contest not far from here. That's it! I thought. I'll win that pie contest and leave Earl! But that wasn't the case, cause then I got pregnant, with you. And I felt trapped. Well that settles it. I thought. I'm never gonna leave Earl. But then something wonderful happened, I met Jim. He changed my life for the better, and I ended up being given enough money to buy the diner from old Joe, and I had you, left Earl for good, and I won the pie contest, and most importantly, had you! I bought myself a house and made life something momma would be proud of. And I never told you about Earl because I didn't want you to become like me and momma had, trapped, and broken. So I kept you from him so you wouldn't get hurt. But I should have told you, it was wrong of me not too, I'm sorry."
     Lulu looked at me, wide eyed and in awe. "Wow." She said. "Just wow." Suddenly she blurted out "Did you and Jim have an affair?" "What?" I cried out. "Because I assume you met Jim when you were still with Earl, and by the way you said wonderful, I assume you had an affair." "Lulu honey what happened in the past is over and I never want it repeated, okay?" "Okay." Lulu responded. "But you did have an affair, didn't you?" "Yes, I had an affair." I said, sighing.
    "Well okay, I'll go, but I don't think it can top yours." Lulu said. I laughed. "Go ahead." "I partly ran away cause I was mad. I also kinda ran away because I needed to know about d- I mean Earls, side of the family for a homework assignment." A homework assignment?" I asked. "Yes, homework." Lulu replied. "Anyway, so I was mad, so I packed my stuff and took the bus to the address he gave me. When I got there, I already had a bad feeling, but I didn't want to go back. So I went up and knocked on the door. Earl answered, and it was obvious he was drunk. He didn't even remember who I was, I had to remind him! But anyway I did, and he led me inside. I told him that I hated you and never wanted to see you again, and he started going off about how 'Well, if you don't wanna see her, I can do something about that!' And I started freaking out, because that was honestly a threat, and even though I hated you, I didn't want you dead or anything. So I was all like 'No, it's fine.' And Earl just shrugged. So we started talking about the homework assignment, and he said he couldn't really remember, and I said well why don't you try? And I guess I shouldn't have said that, cause it made him mad, and he started yelling about how dare I say that, and that I have to learn to disrespect my elders. I started trying to apologize and I tried to run but he grabbed me and hit me so hard I landed on the floor. So I started crying and he yelled some more and then went to get some more beer or whatever, and tried to get out of there again, but he saw me and grabbed my arm and hit me again and then dragged me into this back room thing and threw me onto the bed and locked the door. And I curled up on the bed and cried myself to sleep. But then I woke up and the police where there and they rescued me and brought me back to you."
    I was crying, and so was Lulu. We just sat there on the couch crying and saying "I'm sorry." To each other over and over again. Final I wiped my tears and said " You know what would make us feel better?" "Pie?" Lulu responded. "Yes, pie!" "Lets go make some." And off to the kitchen we went.

Hey! I didn't have any homework, so I figured I'd write. I don't really know what to say, so bye and I hope you enjoyed my story!