Philip and George

There was a series of knocks on the front door of Philip's apartment.

Philip looked up from the book he was reading and slowly eased away from Katie, who had fallen asleep against his side. 

He opened a door and pressed a finger to his lips before George could say anything. "Katie's asleep." he whispered. 

George nodded in acknowledgment. Philip stepped to the side to let him enter.

Philip watched George take in his apartment. The overflowing bookshelves in the living room; the worn couch that Katie was curled up on;  the small, but well used kitchen in the back, and the hallway to the left that led to other rooms, including Philip's bedroom. 

"She has her homework done." Philip said as George picked up his daughter and cradled her against his chest. 

"Thank you for looking after her," George said "I don't know what I would have done if you weren't willing to do so."

"It's fine, really," Philip said "this isn't the first time I've had to do this."

"How much do you want for taking care of her?" George asked, shifting Katie and reaching for his wallet.

"I don't need any money." Philip refused.

"Well there has to be some way that I can pay you back."

Philip shook his head.

"I'll feel bad if I don't repay you." George said "Are you sure there isn't a book I could get you, or nail polish, or something?"

Philip hid his hands behind his back, suprised that George had noticed the chipped green nail polish on them. "I'll think about it." Philip said.

George smiled at him.

"Now go," Philip said, shoo-ing George out "both you and Katie need to sleep in proper beds, and you can't do that standing here and talking to me."

George chucked and waved goodbye before walking down the hall towards the elevators.

Philip shut the door and leaned against it.

His heart was racing again.

(Bam, look who finally updated this.)