Second Semester

Christmas break was over, and with it's end came the start of the second semester.

The kindergarteners were too young to care about semesters, but Philip was still glad that the year was halfway over.

He did love his students, but they were a handful.

This time of year, the younger students being picked up had to wait in the airlock so they didn't freeze, so Philip got to wait in the airlock with them.

George was on time to pick Katie up, for once, which made her gasp in delight as she saw his car pull up.

He stepped out and smiled at her as he walked towards the building. His smile quickly disappeared though, as he stepped onto a patch of ice that a custodian had overlooked, and fell back onto his ass.

Katie gasped and ran out to help him up. Philip covered his mouth to hide his laughter and followed her outside.

"Jeez, are you okay?" Philip asked, half giggling, as George got back onto his feet.

"I'll be fine, maybe a bit sore- are you laughing at me?" George asked, interrupting himself.

Philip shook his head, his hand still over his mouth, even though he was clearly laughing.

"How dare you?" George gasped, overdramatic enough for Philip to know he wasn't serious "I enrolled my daughter in school because I trusted we would both be respected here, and you have the nerve to laugh at me?! I want to speak to your principal- immediately."

"She's gone for the day, she'll be back tomorrow morning." Philip giggled. "Do you want me to register a complaint?"

"I'll do it myself." George said, picking up Katie and turning to walk towards his car. Philip could see he was smiling, even if he was trying to hide it.

Philip couldn't think of a response, so he continued to laugh, and waved as they drove away.

His heart was beating faster than it probably should be, and he felt warm even though it was early January.