Chapter One

I sighed as we drew near to our final destination. 

       My parents seemed to be full of excitement, driving a U-Haul truck from our old home downtown Cincinnati, to the northern-most neighborhood in the school district, College Hill.

       The car stopped.

       We arrived.

       My over enthusiastic parents hopped out the truck. I slid out of the cold leather seats onto the sidewalk. The neighborhood seemed to be booming with business. There were different stores, people walking around, and lots of cars.

       "C'mon Sarahbekka! Wad'ya waitin' for?" My dad called out to me.

        I followed them into the apartment building. We walked up three flights until we reached our apartment.

       "Why did'nt we move into a house?" I asked as we stood in the empty living room.

       "Sarahbekka, I'm chief of police and I occasionally have to move so I can train new stations. Besides, those people won't let a black family move into a brand new house right away. But, I'll look into it..." he trailed off to the kitchen looking for food.

       My dad has always been stuck in the past of  his childhood. Just because we're black, we won't get the best of life unless you work for it. I usually agree with what he says and then leave the room before a another lecture begins.

     We began to unpack our things. I went back down stairs and picked up my box of clothes and shoes. I struggled to get back into the building. I carefully stepped up a flight of stairs; that's when everything blew up.

     The tip of my shoe slipped off the edge of the stair. I tumbled back down the flight, crashing into the wall. The back of my head hit the window sill.

     I did'nt hear my box crash.

     I looked up, straining my aching neck.

     A boy with dreadlocks had his arms crossed with his with my box right beside him, comepletely untouched.

    I stood up.

   "Thanks for catching my stuff." I said. My voice had a slight echo in the stairwell.

     I climbed back up the flight and picked up my box.

     The boy seemed quiet.

     "Do you have a name?" I asked.

     "Jamie." he bluntly mumbled.

      Silence.

      "Don't you wanna know my name?" I asked again.

      "Not really."

       Looks like I got another asshole on my hands..

      "Whatever.." I walked around him with my box.

      "Wait!" Jamie blurted.

       I turned around, hopping for an apology.

      "Try not to step on your shoe laces next time."

      What?

     I looked down at my converse.

    "But they're tied!"

     He shrugged his shoulders and went down stairs.

     I rolled my eyes.

    Soon as I took a couple steps up the last flight, I stepped on on my shoes laces and fell forward, busting my face on the floor. All my things we're scattered in front of my door.

      "What's going on out here?!" My dad immediately opened the door.

        I quickly began to pick up my things.

       "Are you okay?" he asked a little more calmer.

       "I'm good." I lied. I swore my nose was bleeding...

       I walked inside and put my box down on my new desk. I laid in my bed.

       Hold on.

       Jamie already knew that this was going to happen.