Chapter Four

~Sarahbekka~

        I woke up refreshed the next morning. Everything seemed peaceful. In a way, I was still on my own to raise myself. My parents have been busier lately, trying to replace the money that they used to buy the apartment. Which means I'm going to have a lonely summer.

       Today I was going to attempt to leave the building. I knew there was a coffee shop next door. I can smell their bakery every time I opened my window.

       I needed to leave.

       I felt like Rapunzel, trapped inside the tower until the prince rescued her; in my case, my parent's permission.

       I dressed myself in a flannel shirt and a pair of shorts that roughly reached my knees. I stuffed my phone and a twenty dollar bill in my pocket.       

       I slipped out the apartment.

       I was hesitant to twist the door knob to leave the building. I looked back to be sure that Jamie wasn't standing behind me, waiting for me to screw up.

       I opened the door.

      The summer heat smacked my cold face. This was my first time outside since we moved in.

       I was being very cautious about who was around. I didn't want anybody to know that I left the building without permission.

      Next door, I peeked into the window. There was a pastry sale inside.

      "Are you coming in or what?" A girl called out to me from the coffee shop door. She wore a  white apron,  brown shirt the company logo, and a pair of jeans. Her hair was a natural, curly Afro with blond highlights.

        I smiled and followed her inside.

       "So what's your name?"She asked.

       "Sarahbekka. What's yours?"

       "My name is Dawn. Do you want something to eat?" She leaned over the counter.

       "Do you have strawberry-filled danishes?"

       "Commin' right up! My treat."

         Dawn went back into the kitchen.

         I stared out the window until she returned.

        "Here ya' go." Dawn served me my desert. "So, have you made any friends yet?" She asked.

        "Well, he's not really much of a friend yet, but his name is Jamie and-"

        "Jamie?! Your friends with him?!" Dawn cut me off.

         The whole cafe stared at her.

        "I don't know. Why?" I asked a little softer.

        "He's my ex-boyfriend. He's a no-good, son of a bitch and bring nothing but trouble."

        "What kind of trouble?" 

          I took interest in the topic.

         "I wish I could tell you, girl. The word on the street is that he works underground...but that's  all you're gettin outta me. I promised him not to say nothin'.." Dawn wiped her hands in a dish cloth and threw it over her shoulder.

          Later that night, I began to think.

         Why everything so secretive around here?

          Who is Jamie?