Chapter Three

~ Jamie ~

       It was dark.

        The cars were flickering by on the street beneath me.

        My heels were the only mainstay that were holding me up on the edge of the terrace.

        I closed my eyes.

        I jumped.

        I felt my dreads whipping my back as I plummeted.

       I immediately perched onto the telephone wire.

       Where the hell are they?

       I watched the people below me. Walking on the sidewalk were half-dressed women (none in my interest), drunkards, and high teenagers. The only sensible people were the couples entering and leaving the fancy restaurant and coffee shop.

      "Hey Tiger."

      Cole suddenly appeared next to me on the wire. She smiled as the cool night breeze whipped through her hair.

     "What are you all smiles about? Your late." I grumbled.

     "I'm just happy to see you.." She looked down at the street.

    "Where's the rest?" I asked

    "They're right behind me."

    At that very second, Zeke and Nathan perched on the wire.

     " 'Sup." Zeke greeted.

     "Hi Cole.." Nathan meekly greeted.

      Cole only looked at him and smiled. She put attention back towards me.

     "About time. I guess I had better be glad that you showed up at all."  I stood up on the wire.

     "So what's the plan?" Zeke asked impatiently.

    "Stay casual. Find a table and sit until I give the fight-or-flight signal-"

    "Which is?" Cole interrupted

    "When I tap my fingers on the table."

   "One question. Why would we need to fight this guy?" Zeke asked like the smart ass he is.

   "I still don't trust him..." I responded as gripped my fist.

   "Boss gave us the good life. He bailed you out of jail six times!" he stood up.

   "He didn't bail me out of jail six times. He stole me out of jail!"

   "What ever you say.." Zeke shrugged his shoulders. 

   I sighed. You can't put sense into the senseless..

   "It's eleven O'clock. Let's go get this over with."

     I lead the team down the telephone pole and walked in La'Cobs Restaurant. I told all three of them to dress appropriately, even I was wearing a black suit and tie. I didn't want us to look like a bunch of thugs in the middle of  fancy restaurant.

    The team casually ordered a table and sat, pretending to be eloquent.

    I took a deep breath and calmly walked over to Boss's booth in the farthest corner of the restaurant.

    "Ah! Well look who it is! How are 'ya Jamie?" Boss greeted me warmly. This was obviously a charade.

    I sat across from him in the small booth. His Personal assistant, the go-between Meredith and the Boss's current wife Flo were quietly sitting in the booth. Meredith gave me a dirty look. I was used  to his little rivalry to win the Boss's trust.

    "You requested to see me, Sir?" I tried to be polite.

    "Why so serious Jamie? Everything is business with you." Boss mocked. 

    "This is business." I said in a serious tone.

      My patience was slipping.

     "Well I called you here to give you your next assignment." He said as Meredith slid me a brown envelope tied with a string.

      "All the information you need is enclosed. I hope you find it...interesting." Meredith said. He reminds me of a deceiving serpent.

      "Yea..thanks." I mummbled.

        Boss chuckled loudly, Breaking the awkward silence. Meredith put on a fake smile.

         I made a rolling tapping noise on the table and stood up.

        "What happened in there?" Cole asked as we all stood outside the restaurant.

        "Nothing." 

         I lit my cigarette.

         "What's inside the envelope?" Zeke snatched it from under my arm. "Ooh, this is an interesting mission. But who's the chick?" He looked at the photo of the victim.

         "Don't worry about it!" I snatched the envelope back from Zeke's hands.

         "What's wrong with you man?! We're a team, remember?" he shouted.

         " This is a solo mission assigned to me!" I snapped. I blew smoke out through my nose.

           Cole bit her lip.

          "That's not what the paper said!-" Zeke pointed at envelope,"- I think he's holdn' out on us guys." he ran his fingers through his spiked up hair.

         "Zeke I think you had too much to drink..." Nathan intervened, trying to hold his brother back from fighting on the street.

         "Holdin' Out?!" I took my cigarette out my mouth, "I was trying to save the team from doing extra work!"

        "Guys. Chill. I'm sure can come to a compromise." Cole insisted

        "Fuck a compromise!.. I'm outta here." Zeke stormed down the street. He sent trees on fire with his powers as walked down the street.

        Nathan chased after him, swiftly putting out Zeke's fire with his water powers.

        "Later Tiger." Cole sighed.

        She used her magic to put leaves back on the trees where they burned off. 

         Then I was alone.

          Abandoned in the ominous neighborhood. Too much like my childhood.

          I threw my cigarette on the ground and stomped it out.