Chapter Six

~Sarahbekka~

        I woke up choking!

        What's going on?!

        My room was dark and filled with smoke and I could'nt see anything.

        The flames reached the ceiling and my feet, hands, arms, and legs felt like they were burning just from being exposed to the heat.

        My room was being consumed by fire! I was trapped in my bed and I could'nt escape! I began to panic!

        I tried to remember all the lessons thay taught me at school about fire saftey.

       Stop, drop and roll!

       But I wasn't on fire...yet.

       I trusted my instincts and began to crawl on the floor.

       My knees were burning on the wood floor! I searched for safe spot to crawl.

       I looked up.

       There was a path.

       Completely untouched.

        It wasn't being consumed by fire! It was as if there was a force field coating the floor!

        I quickly crawled out of my room before the flames burned the safe spot on the floor. At the same time, my parents rushed out there apartment coughing, choking on the flames.

        The fire department finally arrived. They took out the fire and they were now looking at the damage. I watched everyone from the terrace scattering around like little ants, running in and out of the apartment building.

        I sighed.

        I looked up at the night sky.

        How am I still alive?

        "Hey.."

        Jamie came and sat on the ledge with me, except he had his legs swinging over the edge of the building. He seemed not to be bothered by it.

        "Hey." I mumbled.

        "You're not hurt are you?"

        "No." 

         I looked back up at the sky.

         "Next time, leave through the fire escape." He said seriously.

          I didn't even think of that.

         "How do you know that I didn't use the fire escape?"

         "Because they said all three of you met in the living room in the apartment." He slightly raised his voice.

         "Sometimes I think you know more than I think you do. You know too much about me without even really talking to me." I snapped.

        He gave me that stare again.

        This time his eyes were full of...frustration.

        We stopped talking.

        He gripped the ledge tightly. I could see the strain in his arms and hands. He gritted his teeth tightly together. Oddly at times, his eyes widened and then lowered again. I think he was trying to control his temper.

        "Okay I'm sorry. I'm just under a lot of pressure right now, you gotta give me some time."

        "You could have just said that." Jamie said softer.

         He left the terrace silently.

         What's his problem? 

         He seems to get worked up over the smallest issues.

         I needed to know what he's hiding.

         It was time to make a friend.