Chapter Nine

~Sarahbekka~

       "All right Sarahbekka, we're leaving." My mom said in her black date dress. Her obsidian jewelry was glistening in the overhead light in the living room.

       "Don't try anything sneaky ya' hear!" My dad warned me. After my sister went downhill, he's trying his best to keep me out of trouble.

        My parents finally left. They went on their anniversary date downtown in one of their favorite restaurants they used to visit all the time when we lived downtown.

        Then I was alone.

         The apartment was lit up with the overhead lights in the kitchen. I concentrated on making myself a frozen pizza in the oven while trying to watch a movie on the t.v.

          There was a knock on the door.

           Who's trying to visit us at Ten o'clock at night?

           I peeped though the hole to see who it was.

           I opened the door.

           "Hey."

           "Hi." Jamie barged in. Nathan followed him in close behind. Cole sat on the steps outside the apartment.

           "What's going on?" I asked in confusion.

           "You know how you've been having trouble finding some real friends other than Dawn-" When he said that, something inside of me just snapped. "Well, you can make friends with my pal Nathan." He smiled.

             Nathan waved and put his hands back in his pockets.

            "Can I talk to you for a second?" I asked with my fake smile.

              He raised his eyebrow.

              I pulled him into the kitchen.

             "What are you up to?" I whispered through my teeth.

             "I'm just kinda worried about who your friends are.."

             "That's nice. Now what are you really up to?" I crossed my arms.

              He sighed.

              "After that fire, it got me thinking about your safety. So look, I'm making Nathan stay behind to make sure you won't get into any trouble while I'm gone."

              "Where are you going, what are you protecting me from, and what am I supposed to tell my parents when they get back?"

              "Don't worry about it, I can't tell you, and Nathan has it all under control."

              "But-" He put his finger over my lip.

              "Shh. Don't worry your little Sarahbekka head." He whispered.

              He was so close to my face that I could have tasted his minty breath. I felt like fainting. 

              "Now you kids have fun!" Jamie abruptly ruined the moment and slammed the door shut.

               There was something strange.

               Jamie's eyes.

               They flashed purple under the kitchen light.