Chapter 1 - The Rose

The stag fell just as the hunter's father had. With an arrow sticking out of its neck and its eyes glazed over with cold, empty death. Crystal, however, did not mind that look. She'd seen it plenty of times on the faces of those she'd decimated.

Calmly walking up to the stag to inspect it, Crystal thought she saw the last breath leave its full, muscular body. The stag was fairly big - big enough to last her and the Duchess about a month. Her mother should be proud; it had been a while since Crystal had brought home a deer such as this.

Crystal quickly pulled out the arrow, placing it back in its quiver. She then whistled to Snowstorm, one of the larger warhorses in their stables. Crystal had chosen not to take her own horse, Blackbird, for this purpose exactly; Blackbird was strong but it would be a burden to him to have to carry a large stag like this one.

She managed to heave the stage onto Snowstorm's back, and he snorted, tossing his head. He knew there was food sitting upon his back. The horses the Duchess owned were Diomedes, horses bred from blood and death itself. They sported shark-like teeth and tempers held by a thread. If they wanted, they could snap a man's neck in half in less than a second.

But Snowstorm was old and gentler than the other steeds in the stables. Crystal strapped the deer down with some rope and mounted up into the saddle, steering Snowstorm towards home. They weren't very far out - only about a couple miles.

When they arrived back to the estate, a terrified looking stable boy, an employed half-breed, and one of her mother's guards came out and approached the duo cautiously. Crystal dismounted and unstrapped the deer, letting the guard take it and haul it over his broad shoulders. The stable boy led Snowstorm back to the stables with shaking hands. This exchange happened in silence. Crystal and the guards did not speak much - only if they had to. And Crystal hated speaking to half-breeds. All they did was shake and stammer like rabbits.

Inside, warm air greeted her as she removed her cloak and slung it over the antique divan in the foyer. The mansion was quite elaborate, the floors a deep mahogany and the furniture collected from various antique shops - and homes - throughout the centuries.

The house was quiet, except for Snowhare, the cat, who hissed at Crystal and ducked under the divan.
Fuck you, too, she thought. Heading into the parlor, Crystal found her mother, the Duchess of the Black Ice Mountains, sitting elegantly on a beautiful deep red couch, nursing a cup of mint tea and reading an old classic. She wore a simple but still gorgeous black dress with fur lining the low collar. Her inky black hair was pinned up on her head with a snowflake pin.

"Daughter," the Duchess greeted Crystal coldly.  "I trust your hunt went well?" she said, not looking up from her book.

"Yes, my lady," Crystal replied. "I caught a grown stag." Crystal fought the urge to fidget. Her mother was always so condescending.

"Well done," her mother replied, a hint of praise in her sleek voice. She glanced up from her book, finally. "There is something for you on the table," she said, gesturing with a nod to the small table behind her daughter.

Crystal turned and frowned as she saw the small letter and, more strangely, the deep blue rose that sat next to it. "What is this?" she asked, turning back to her mother.

"Why don't you read the letter, dear?" the Duchess replied, her nose buried back in her book. She took a careful sip of tea.

Crystal frowned again and proceeded to pick up the letter. It wasn't elaborate, just a simple letter. She narrowed her eyes as she read:

To the Duchess and her daughter of the Black Ice Mountains,

You have been most gladly invited to attend the Winter Formal at the court palace. I ask that you do not bother in bringing your entire army, just you and your daughter. The ball will be held on the second day in the mortal month of December. We dearly hope to see you here.

Her Majesty,
Queen Mab

Crystal smirked. The Duchess and her had not taken part in many of the parties and festivities the queen held at court, simply because they were about a week's ride away and the Duchess was rather crotchety toward many of the court members, claiming they were 'too intelligent for their own good, always thirsting for blood and never seeking to gain better knowledge of their own existence.'

Her mother was very philosophical.

Crystal set the letter down and picked up the rose, smelling it gingerly. It smelled like frost with a hint of mint. She frowned. "Mab sent a rose?" she wondered aloud.

"Not Mab," her mother said in the tone that meant she knew something Crystal didn't. "One of her sons, I believe." She gave a small smile and met Crystal's gaze over her book.

Crystal fought the disgust wanting to show on her face and tossed the rose aside. "I'm going to bathe," she announced, leaving the room without another word and without looking back.