Chapter 25 - The Weapon

The sun shone through the tent flaps, a line of golden light slicing the ground. Crystal squinted and blinked, rubbing sleep out of her eyes. She let out a yawn and sat up, although the fey behind her made a small noise and tightened his hold around her waist, pulling her closer and nestling his nose against her back.

Crystal smirked and gently stroked his head. After she'd witnessed the death of the Summer general, Rowan had pulled her back in the tent, securing the flaps and blowing out the meager candles on the nightstand. He then had pulled her to the cot, and they'd lain there, just holding each other, whispering about the strange tattoo on the general's chest.

Normally, Crystal didn't like the sun. It was too bright and too hot for someone used to living in sub zero temperatures. But, this morning, she found she liked the way it shone through the tent flap and made the space around them dim. It was...peaceful.

She laid back down on the mattress and studied the tattoo "Lukas" sported along his shoulder and bicep. It was many intricate designs shuffled together to create something mysterious and beautiful. She lightly ran the tips of her fingers over it and earned a small noise from Rowan in the process.

He nuzzled his head against her neck and she shivered as she felt him slowly begin to kiss her, his cold breath raising goose bumps along her arms. He continued this for another moment before slowly inching his way toward her mouth. She sighed as their lips met and opened up a little, letting his tongue slip inside to duel with hers.

Maybe it was the ambiance in the room, the sunshine, or the fact that they hadn't been caught yet as spies, but Crystal felt strangely happy. Her heart thundered in her chest as Rowan rolled to line his body with hers. Thankfully, he'd slept with his pants on. Otherwise, they could be here a while.

Crystal let him kiss her a few moments more, letting out a small gasp as he gently rocked his hips against hers. She also thanked all that was holy that his disguise was not as beautiful as his true form. Otherwise, they could have been here for a long while.

"Rowan, I think we should..." she trailed off, stopping her thoughts that they should, perhaps, get up and get ready to go investigate the Weapon, but the trail of kisses he created down her throat simply took her breath away. He was also continuously, but gently, rocking his hips against hers, which was so annoying.

"Rowan, we should get up," she gasped, her instinct of pulling away and withdrawing into herself starting to kick in as she felt him grin against her neck.

"Why? The sun's only just risen. We're probably the only ones awake. We have all the time in the world, dove," he murmured and kissed her jaw. Crystal swore under her breath and pushed against his broad shoulders.

A plan hit her. It was still early, and they were probably one of the only ones awake....

"Rowan, we can go investigate the Weapon without being questioned - or our chances of being questioned are very low," she whispered. She almost laughed at his expression. She knew that he knew she was right and he was extremely disappointed about it.

She smiled and ran a finger down his sculpted jaw. "We can have fun later." He smiled, his eyes promising everything but innocent "fun" later. She pushed at his shoulders again and this time he let her. She rose and pulled her boots on. "I'll go out first, see if I can see where they're hiding it."

"All right, I'll be right behind you," Rowan mumbled, letting out a big yawn and flopping back down onto the cot and rolling over, closing his eyes.

Crystal smirked and shook her head. "Lazy ass," she muttered before heading out of the tent.

***********