Chapter 7 - Cold Hearts & White Harts

The rest of dinner was composed of small gossip between the Duchess and Mab, the three princes fallen to silence as they ate, which she didn't mind at all. Although, a couple times Rowan did nudge Crystal's leg under the table with his boot. She debated kicking him back but then decided that would only provoke him further.

   So, she ignored him, much to his surprise and disappointment. Afterwards, Crystal disappeared to her room while the others went their separate ways. Crystal noticed a large gray wolf trailing behind Sage as he headed down the hall toward his room. Before Rowan or her mother could corner her, she escaped out to the stables.

   She knew seeing Blackbird - a friend who couldn't talk back - would give her relief. Blackbird was more than happy to see her. They had to put him and the other Diomedes in stalls with bars on the doors, so that they didn't lunge out with their long necks and bite someone's hand off. Understandable, Crystal thought.

   Crystal slid the stall door open and greeted her horse with a pat on the nose. "Hey, Blackie," she murmured and he nickered in response, nudging her with his head. She gave him a scratch under his bangs and he snuffed with happiness. "What did we get ourselves into, huh?" she asked him, knowing he would only give her a look that said 'what did you get yourself into, you mean?'

   Crystal sighed and leaned against him. Hopefully, tomorrow wouldn't be too agonizing trying to hunt one of the rarest types of deer with Rowan.

*****

"Are you absolutely sure you spotted a white hart?" Crystal asked Rowan as they sat on their mounts in the middle of the forest. They were on the border of the Wyldwood, thankfully not knee deep in snow. It was strange that a white hart would travel this far near Tir Na Nog.

   "Of course! I swear it was," Rowan replied, smirking. "I wouldn't lie to you, now would I?" He sat atop a tall black stallion with flaming blue eyes and a short temper named Skull.

   "Then again, white harts are tricky to spot and it could have been a faery playing a trick on us," Ash was saying. He'd insisted on coming, if only to escape the palace while it was in full decoration mode for the party. He sat atop Calx, a legendary stallion of courage and speed.

   Blackbird was not having a fun morning. Crystal had risen early and gone down to the stables to feed him, only to find that there were no fresh mice or rats crawling around. Long story short, her horse had not yet eaten his breakfast and was quite hungry. Diomedes didn't eat regular horses, but Rowan and Ash were looking quite tasty at the moment to Blackbird.

   "Maybe if we split up it will be easier to find it?" Crystal suggested. Bad idea.

   "All right, little brother, you take the left and Crys and I will take the right!" Rowan suggested, grinning, already steering Skull in the direction he pointed.

   Crystal didn't move. "What did you just call me?" she demanded. A normal Winter sidhe would never question their princes. But Crystal was a bit stubborn and hard headed most of the time. Most of all, she was not your normal Winter sidhe.

   Ash smirked as he and Calx headed left into the woods. Rowan stopped Skull and turned to look at her. "No one ever calls you Crys?" he asked, smiling. Why did he have to smile so much?

   "No," she said, stilled a bit aghast that he would use a nickname with her. Rowan just smirked again and urged Skull forward.

   "Well, it suits you," was all he said. Crystal sighed and followed him, agreeing with Blackbird's throaty growl and pinned ears.

   They walked for about twenty minutes before Crystal spotted a squirrel high atop a tree branch. She pulled Blackbird to a halt and knocked an arrow in her bow. She aimed and fired; the squirrel fell from the tree as the arrow pierced its hide. Crystal dismounted and pulled the arrow out of the animal. She then held it out to her horse. Blackbird took it gently with his sharp teeth, holding it in his jaws as a prize.

   "Wherever did you get that thing? You seem to care a lot for him," Rowan said, watching from a few feet away. His eyes were narrowed. He was testing her.

   Crystal gave him an icy look. "When someone is loyal to you, you tend to care for them, simply to keep them loyal and show you respect," she said. He gazed at her and nodded.

   "Fair enough," he replied. "You just don't seem like the most caring person."

    "Neither do you," she shot back. She swung up into the saddle and urged Blackbird forward. Rowan followed her in silence. She was aware of him watching her, his eyes searing a hole through her back.

   Suddenly, Crystal pulled Blackbird to a halt. Through the trees, just a few meters away, was the white hart, just then noticing them, as well. It froze and stared at them with old, wise eyes. It was smaller than an average deer, probably only coming up to Blackbird's shoulder. It's horns were elaborate and thin, and its eyes were made of ink.

   She felt Rowan place an arrow in his bow, and she urged Blackbird to the side to give him better aim. She held her breath, not wanting to breathe for fear the hart would dart away, or Rowan would miss.

   She didn't have to, though. The hart suddenly twitched and fell to the forest floor, a black arrow sticking up through its hide. Blood started to drip out of its wound, the red a sharp contrast to its snow white coat.

   Crystal frowned and Rowan replaced his arrow in its quiver. "Who the-?" he started but she shushed him. She'd apologize for shushing a prince later. But, out of the trees stepped a figure. A figure dressed in black with poisoned green eyes. He, she could see now that she had a better view of his full form, stalked forward to inspect the deer. Crystal had the impression that the figure knew he was being watched.

   Rowan was silent. Then, he whispered to her. "Do you get the feeling something's not right with him?" he asked. She nodded. She expect him to dismount, draw his sword and march forward, cursing the figure for stealing his prey. But the prince was silent, frowning. Skull suddenly snorted and backed away several steps, fear clear in his eyes.

   Blackbird growled and pawed the ground, baring his teeth. "We should go find Ash," Crystal suggested, steering her horse around and urging him to a trot. Rowan followed and Skull leapt into a canter, his ears pinned against his head. Crystal glanced back once at the figure, her heart leaping into her throat as she saw the hart and the figure gone, a black rose in their place.