Chapter 10 - Caught

The party continued through the night, nobles and willowy fey dancing until they were breathless. Crystal milled about with the crowd, paying the food table a visit, then dancing with Sage, who finally convinced her to after about half an hour. His wolf lay a few feet away, watching them with wise, old eyes.

Crystal spotted her mother gossiping with Mab and a few other sidhe, a glass of blue champagne in her hand. "You're distracted," Sage observed. She looked back at him and sighed.

"My apologies, your Highness, I....It's been a long night." Lame excuse but he didn't seem to mind.

"There is a sparring match tomorrow by the frozen pond. If you are good with a sword, I would be honored if you would join. It'll just be my brothers, a few guards, and I," Sage told her, changing the subject.

Crystal had never been bad with a sword, although she bested anyone and everyone with knives. "The honor would be mine, your Highness," she said. Sage smiled and spun her out and back in.

"We meet at dawn by the pond, then," he said.

After three more dances with Sage and one other with a guard named Winterbrey, who was all too touchy feely for her taste, Crystal was near spent. Usually in war, she could go a day or two without sleep and could keep up fighting for hours. But dancing, it seemed, was the culprit that wore her the most out.

After excusing herself for some fresh air, Crystal headed outside to the courtyard again. She hadn't seen Ash since they'd parted ways a few hours ago. She did spot Rowan though. With a female sidhe.

She was tall and lithe, with pale skin, inky black eyes like Mab's, and snowy white hair like Crystal's. She was dressed in an elegant white diamond dress that had a slit up the side, revealing quite a bit of leg, and an open back that revealed only a few scars.

The woman seemed to be in a quiet conversation with the prince until she reached up with one elegant finger and trailed it over his jawline. Crystal felt a strange, almost acidic feeling go through her. Her heart sped up and the sudden urge to strangle something - preferably the woman - washed over her.

The feeling only intensified as Rowan leaned down and kissed her, pulling her up against him. The woman did not resist but only deepened the kiss, sliding her hands through his hair. Crystal realized her fists were clenched and tried to relax them. She did not want to be seen glaring wildfire at the two.

I wish she wouldn't flaunt her wealth so," a voice chirped behind Crystal. She whirled around, fingers twitching toward the knife concealed in a strap on her thigh. A girl with dark dreadlocks stood there, grinning at her.

"Narissa always seems to purchase the most expensive - and heavy - things from the mortal world, and the goblin markets," the girl said, stepping up beside Crystal.

"Why buy things from the mortal world, as far as dresses go?" Crystal snarled. What was the matter with her? She clenched and unclenched her fists.

"She has them customized especially for her," the girl, who Crystal recognized as a phouka, said. The phouka was studying Crystal intently.

Crystal tried pushing the strange feeling to the back of her mind and conjure up a bored expression, but it was too late. The phouka's golden eyes widened and she glanced from Rowan and Narissa - who were clearly trying to swallow each other - and back to Crystal.

"Are you...jealous, Lady Crystal?" The phouka gaped at her and then suddenly let out a loud howl of laughter. "Oh, that is hilarious! Crystal, daughter of the Duchess of the Black Ice Mountains, is jealous of Prince Rowan and Narissa!" she screeched, loud enough for all in close proximity to hear. "Oh, and I'm Taiothin, by the way," she said when she'd caught her breath.

Jealousy? Was that what this feeling was? She didn't even like Rowan...

"Shut up or it will be the last words you say!" Crystal hissed, but the damage had already been done. Heads turned their way, redcaps snickered, and Rowan and Narissa pulled apart - although only enough to look toward Crystal and Taiothin.

Crystal felt her cheeks heat in humiliation as a smirk pulled at Rowan's lips and Narissa smiled cruelly. Taiothin began to laugh again and Crystal just about exploded. She meant to throw an ice dagger at the phouka, but Taiothin saw it coming and jumped out of the way, morphing into a cat and darting off, still yowling with laughter.

Crystal couldn't look at anyone, Rowan especially. Feeling the size of a bug, Crystal turned on her heel and marched toward the stables. Any couples who'd snuck up into the hayloft had better say their prayers. Hopefully Blackbird wouldn't laugh at her too.