Chapter 3 - The Spy

The next morning came all too fast for Crystal. In fact, she supposed the Nevernever was playing a joke on her, speeding up the sunrise and sunset. Wearily, she rose out of bed, pulled on a pair of black pants, a dark blue shirt, and her black riding boots. She pulled her hair into a high ponytail and donned her knee-length coat. It was fashioned with dark blue and black beads from the mortal world and the collar hugged her neck, making her look even more fearsome.

   For some odd reason, nervousness wracked her body. Butterflies swam in her stomach and her palms were clammy. What was there to be frightened of, other than perhaps Mab?

   Taking one last look at herself in the mirror, she sighed and strapped a dagger in each boot, and a plethora of knives underneath her coat. She grabbed her bag and slung it over her shoulder. She headed down the stairs to wait in the foyer for her mother. After a few minutes, she began to pace.

   Finally, about a half hour later, the Duchess swept down the stairs in an elaborate black gown with a furred shawl draped over her shoulders. Her hair was pinned up with beads and she wore long black gloves on her arms. Crystal fought not to say 'we aren't at the ball yet, mother'.

   "Oh, good, you're ready!" the Duchess said, smiling coldly at her daughter. "Let's be off, then!" She swayed through the front door without looking back.

   Outside, the blizzard had left a good four feet of snow behind. Crystal took in a breath of fresh winter air and felt a smile tug at her lips. It was like smelling her soul. Oh, wait. That's right, she did not have one. None of the pureblood fey did.

   The horses were waiting for them, chewing on their bits and tossing their heads. Her mother would ride in a carriage while Crystal rode Blackbird. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather ride in the carriage?" her mother asked. Crystal blinked at her.

   The Duchess simply pursed her lips and climbed into the carriage. "Just thought I'd ask," she piqued. The door was held by a guard who made the not-so-subtle show of eying the Duchess's rear as she climbed in. Crystal felt her lip twitch in disgust as she strapped her bag to the saddle and swung up onto Blackbird, gathering up his reins.

    The driver gave a click of his tongue and they were off. They rode swiftly, only stopping to rest the horses and, of course, the obvious relieving of protesting bladders. For seven days they traveled, sometimes faster than others, sometimes at a steady walk.

    On the afternoon of the seventh day, they came through a break in the trees to the lake that would lead them underground to court. Crystal swallowed nervously. She did not fancy unfrozen water. Going through was a breeze, though. The horses did not flinch, and the water wasn't even that bad - just heavy.

    It was only when Blackbird's hooves touched the ground that Crystal realized she'd been squeezing her eyes shut. She opened them and looked around. They were in the Unseelie Court. Beautiful and terrible in its whole majesty. The palace was situated in a cave, with the only light being from the hole above, glowworms decorating the ceiling. Wordlessly, they made their way through the small town before the palace, its citizens not paying them much attention as they passed.

   Suddenly, something caught Crystal's eye. A sharp movement of dark blue passed in the corner of her eye. She glanced in the direction and saw a figure watching her - a figure with deep green eyes. He - or she, it was hard to tell - was dressed in black, only their eyes visible underneath the strange black and white mask they wore. They crouched on a wooden cart, not moving, not even breathing, as they stared at Crystal.

    Blackbird snorted and tossed his head. They were falling back from the carriage, as Crystal had stopped to glare at the figure.

   She turned back to look at her mother's carriage, narrowing her eyes. The figure was strange - maybe she should alert her mother about it. She glanced back towards where the fey had crouched.

   But the figure was gone.