Chapter 24 - The Warning

A small, lone firefly drifted in from outside the tent. Its abdomen lit up with a golden glow as it flew over towards where Crystal sat on the cot near the corner, polishing her knife. The firefly seemed to sense that Crystal was, indeed, not who she appeared to be and flew off into the shadows.

Crystal sighed and eyed the entrance as movement stirred the flaps. A figure ducked in and for a moment she tensed until she realized it was only Rowan. Their disguises had held out, thankfully, but it was still annoying that neither of them were able to use Winter glamour, else risk losing their disguises.

"I got us some supper," Rowan announced, holding up a small bowl of berries. "Cook wouldn't let me have any else, say we need to be punished for not getting the food supplies from the other camp."

Crystal watched him in silence as he made himself comfortable across from her, setting the bowl of berries in between them. He moved with grace, as all fey did, but also with danger and mystery, much like a jungle cat or bird of prey. Crystal liked that about him. It was a lot like herself, how he held himself and moved.

She shook herself and snatched up a strawberry from the bowl. She hated her feelings and how thin the wall up around her heart had become. She didn't want to get destroyed again, as losing her father had done to her. She figured if she stopped caring for anyone and anything, it wouldn't hurt as much.

Unfortunately, her heart had other ideas.

Especially with how Rowan was eyeing her, a devious smirk pulling at his lips.

Crystal tried at her best glare. "What?" she sniped, trying to sound annoyed. His eyes roamed her face, then briefly the rest of her, pausing slightly on her chest.

"You're just very distracting in that outfit," he replied, shrugging and resting his chin on his hand, popping a blueberry into his mouth.

Crystal clenched her teeth and felt her glare turn all the more murderous as she remembered what Flora had worn that day. The collar of her rugged brown shirt dipped quite low in the front, barely covered by crisscrossing ties. Her tight pants didn't help much either. "You don't have to look at me, you know," she muttered.

Rowan's face turned serious. "But, I want to," he murmured, his eyes drifting to hers and staying there.

It was strange seeing Rowan in this state, vulnerable and true. He hid none of his feelings as he spoke to her through his eyes. After an intense moment, he said, "Crystal, I don't wish to hurt you."

Frustration roared up in Crystal as a response. "Then stop playing that little game of yours! The one where you seduce an innocent girl and then break her heart and soul when she declares her undying love for you," Crystal could hear her voice rising and immediately lowered it. They couldn't be caught talking about this.

Rowan didn't blink. "I'm not playing that game, Crystal," he said, his voice low. "Besides, you're not innocent and I'm not stupid," he swallowed a strawberry. "I know that if I tried any games with you, you'd rip me apart bit by bit until nothing was left."

Crystal considered this. He wasn't wrong by any means. "So you're little act of pursuing me is serious?" She didn't know what she'd do if he said yes.

Rowan pushed the bowl of fruit away. "Crystal, you've been destroying me bit by bit ever since you started acting like you hate me," he said, his voice husky. Crystal shivered. "I don't want anyone else. And no, not even Narissa," he added when she opened her mouth to shoot the very retort at him.

"Destroying you?" she asked doubtfully. "Am I destroying you even now?" she leaned back and smirked at him. Perhaps, it was her turn to be cruel. Something entered Rowan's eyes that made goosebumps crawl up her arms.

Instead of speaking, he slowly crawled forward until he was trapping her between his arms and his face was inches from hers. His eyes met hers and in his she saw an emotion she couldn't place. She felt as if he were staring into her heart and whatever small part of a soul she had left. Then, he said the one word that tore her apart.

"Yes," he whispered, and kissed her. His smooth lips slid over hers and Crystal felt herself tensing up, pulling away and drawing into herself, away from him and the soldiers and the world. Just like she always did.

"Don't, Crystal," Rowan whispered, drawing back only enough to speak. "Don't go." He kissed her again, gently this time, and Crystal melted a little. She brought her hands up to the sides of his face and returned his kiss, taking his lower lip between her teeth. Rowan groaned and deepened the kiss, leaning back and pulling her into his lap.

Crystal straddled him and slipped her hands into his golden hair, keeping back a groan as their tongues danced and Rowan's hands began their exploration over her back and rear. She hated seeming vulnerable, and making noises of pleasure showed exactly that. So Crystal almost swore when he slipped his cold hands under her shirt, moving his thumbs in small circles over her abdomen.

"Crystal, fighting won't help," Rowan murmured in her ear, breathing hard. "It'll only create more walls." He nipped at her earlobe and this time she let a naughty word slip out.

Rowan smirked and slowly lowered them both down onto the cot, trailing a path of kisses down her neck and over her collarbone. She tangled her hands in his hair as his tongue trailed across her skin, creating fire in her that slowly licked up to her face.

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do this," Rowan whispered as he pulled back to look in her eyes. Crystal was breathing hard and her heart was trying to pound its way out of her chest as she leaned up and pressed her lips to his chin.

"I know," she whispered. And then, she pounced. Rowan responded just how she'd predicted he would, groaning and swearing as she kissed his jaw, and mouth, and neck. She slid his shirt from his shoulders and ran her hands down his sculpted chest, knowing his true form, not the disguise, was much stronger. Much more beautiful.

"Shit, Crystal," he gasped as she pressed a kiss to his shoulder, right on a scar that may have been his, considering its pigment. Rowan was just beginning to line his body with hers when movement registered with Crystal out of the corner of her eye.

She snapped her head to the side, her heart now pounding with alarm. Danger, her mind whispered. "Rowan, wait!" she hissed, cursing her lady parts for reeling as he kissed her throat. But, he obeyed and paused at her words.

"What is it?" he whispered but was silent as she placed her fingers over his mouth. She gently pushed him off of her and straightened, palming her knife. She crept toward the entrance to the tent, holding her breath and listening. She could hear a gurgling sort of breathing. Or wheezing, rather. Then, silence.

She slowly reached for the flap and pulled it aside. She held back a scream and the bile that raced to her throat as she beheld the Summer general from earlier, his throat utterly destroyed, not just slit and a tattoo of a black rose exposed on his pale chest.