Chapter 23 - Spies

Crystal and Rowan were to be disguised as two Summer soldiers, simple enough to be overlooked and not memorable enough to be recognized if there were two sets of them. Crystal groaned as she, Rowan, Winterbrey, and several Thornguards accompanied them into the forest so that the transformation may not be witnessed by anyone else for security reasons. 

     "This better be worth my time," Crystal grumbled as they stopped nearby a stream. Her arm had improved in its healing quite admirably but it still hurt a bit. 

    "Don't worry, Princess," Rowan said, causing Crystal to bristle a bit. "You'll be with me." He winked. 

   Crystal fought not to flip him the bird. Winterbrey stepped in and began to explain their mission. "You two shall not use any glamour, is that understood?" He waited for them to both nod before continuing. "If you do, this disguise will be wiped away and you two will not see the light of day again."

   "How long do you expect us to stay in Summer's camp, General?" Rowan asked, serious for the first time in two days. 

   "As long as it takes you to find out what that secret weapon actually is and how it works," the general replied, taking note of how bored Crystal looked and holding back a snicker. "Now, if you have nothing else to say, we shall commence with the change."

    Crystal sighed and held back a 'finally' grumble as Winterbrey began to glamour them into Summer fey. Crystal winced as her skin stretched a bit tighter and her hair became shorter and brown. Her skin became tan and her clothes transformed to dark green fighting leathers. She also became about an inch shorter. 

    She studied her hands and marveled at Winterbrey's work. It was incredible, really. Rowan, however, was a mite taller, if only by an inch, and sported matching fighting leathers and long golden hair. His eyes turned a deep brown and a scar appeared across his nose. He was no less handsome, of course. Although, she was sure she preferred him with ebony hair instead of gold. 

   Rowan smirked at her as he took in their new selves. "You look cute in green, Crys," he said, his eyes glinting. Crystal rolled her eyes and looked to Winterbrey, who was trying his best not to turn a lip up in disgust at the fact that there were two "Summer fey" now on Winter's side. 

    "You'll be needing these," he said, handing them both a small flask. "I filled them with Rockbait poison. In case the situation presents itself, pour this into one of Summer's ale cups - preferably Oberon's."

   The full brunt of what they were doing hit Crystal as Winterbrey led them through the camp and out toward the perimeter. "Oh, and uh," he said before Crystal and Rowan headed off. "The two fey you're disguised as? They're, er, rather quite close," he smirked wickedly this time as he turned and left them, the Thornguards trailing behind him and laughing as well. 

   Crystal silently cursed them for eternity under her breath. 

*************

   They would be entering the Summer camp from the side of the east forest. Many Summer soldiers went hunting there and the two fey Rowan and Crystal were disguised as were known to sneak off into those very woods. 

    To do what was really beyond all of Crystal's comprehension. 

    "You think they'll welcome us with some poppy stew?" Rowan asked, nudging her with his elbow. They were closer to the camp now and Crystal found her stomach was not happy with her at the moment. "It was rather good the last time they served it at Elysium."

   "I don't really want to think about food right now," Crystal said through her teeth. She swallowed down her nerves and focused on the task at hand. She also didn't like Rowan's arrogant grin.

   "Oh, Crystal, you aren't...nervous, are you?" Rowan's grin grew wider and she was about ready to slap him when she spotted a Summer guard, pacing back and forth near the east entrance. Her heart leapt to her throat and she almost jumped when Rowan slid his hand in hers. 

    "Flora and Lukas are supposed to be lovers anyway, sweetheart. Don't look so terrified - you look like you've seen a ghost," Rowan continued. He walked by the guard with ease, nodding to him as they passed, Crystal - Flora - in tow. 

    The guard nodded back and resumed his pacing. "How can you be so calm?" Crystal whispered, her heart thumping madly in her chest. Although, it did allow some annoyance to creep in next to her nervousness to know that her name was now Flora. Hideous name, honestly.

   "Practice, sweetheart," Rowan purred, running his thumb along hers. She had to fight the urge to yank her hand away as her heart pounded - and not in fear this time. "I've done this more times than you think."

   Crystal really didn't have the energy at the moment to ask, plus if someone overheard them talking about that certain subject, they would be in a shitload of trouble. Several soldiers either nodded or greeted them with a 'aye, afternoon!' as they passed, but none stopped them in their path. 

    "We should find Flora and Lukas's tent," Rowan whispered to Crystal. 

    "What will we do if we find them there?" Crystal asked, still nervous about standing directly in the center of the Summer camp surrounded by Summer soldiers and war cats and...trolls. God, she hated trolls. 

    Rowan smiled and winked. "We improvise."

**********

   Turns out, Flora and Lukas were not in their tent. Instead, an even more sticky situation presented itself. Apparently, as it goes, the two were sent to another, neighboring Summer camp about a days ride away to collect more food supplies. Well, long story short, the crotchety general who'd been interrogating Rowan and Crystal about "where the damn food supplies were  you shit love birds?" 

    "We just...they wouldn't give any up, sir!" Rowan said, pleading with his eyes for the general to understand. 

   "We have been running out for the past two days, you idiot! We need that food, and you two really can't stop trying to swallow each other long enough to get food?!" the general snapped. "I expected better of you, Lukas Greenlark."

    Lukas - Rowan - swallowed and blinked. "I apologize sincerely, sir, but they sent us back with a message: If the General wants his dragonfruit and ale, he can damn well come get it himself," Rowan recited. 

    The general snarled and shook his head. "Damn peasant soldiers," he grumbled. "Go back to your tent and stay there till morning. We add some improvements to the Weapon at dawn. Need to clean out those Winter shits nearly completely if we want to get anywhere near the Princes." With that, the general pushed past Rowan and Crystal, still grumbling to himself. 

    Rowan's face suddenly held a trace of shock and fear for a moment before he wiped it clean, masking his face into one of calm arrogance. "Let's head to the tent, shall we, sweet Flora," he smirked. 

    Crystal was still trying to process all this. She'd kept quiet during the exchange, having learned from Winterbrey before they left that Flora was rather quiet and shy - except in the bedroom, apparently. This fact almost made Crystal puke up her breakfast. 

    "Stop calling me that, Lukas," she snarled. 

    "Well, it is your name, unfortunately," Rowan replied. "For now, at least. Better get used to it. It's not that bad, really." He slipped his hand into hers once more as they headed to the tent. "And tomorrow, I'll go with that general to see the 'improvements' on the Weapon," he lowered his voice. "Looks like Fate is on our side."

    "I'll try to find out more of their battle strategies for the next battle," Crystal whispered back. She hoped she could find out something useful. She hoped to get out of here as soon as possible. And she hoped to everything divine that they didn't get caught.