Chapter 35 - Red Snow

Crystal's head throbbed as she struggled to open her eyes. Her stomach growled, reminding her of how long it'd been since she last ate, even as her throbbing head prevented any desire of food from entering her mind.

          Blinking, Crystal slowly sat up, taking in her surroundings. She was in Thistle's tent, on his cot, alone. The daylight suggested it was late afternoon. At first, she remembered nothing of earlier that morning as she yawned and rubbed at her temples. Then, it all came rushing back to her. The Blood Roses, the red cloaked figures that instilled irrational fear and emotions into those around them. Thistle was their king. How he was able to master the fear they wrought upon him, she didn't know. 

      Panic began to settle in her veins. She had to find out exactly what the Blood Roses were and somehow report back to Mab. And then there was the matter of finding the Faux Blood antidote for Rowan. She didn't know how long she'd been away from the Winter camp. Rowan's condition could be worse by now. It pained her to think of him as dead, all because she had been fooling around, thinking she could pose as a queen to an organization that should never have formed. 

       She swallowed down her panic and, with a bite of determination, began searching for a small vial of red liquid. It had to be in here, of all places. Rifling quickly through the piles of clothing discarded on the floor, strewn bottles, and other oddities, frustration began to set in. How could she have been so stupid, trying to trick Thistle. She had a mission! This was no time to pretend to be royalty. 

       Heaving out an angry sigh, Crystal placed her hands on her hips and tried to think. Then, something small and red caught her eye. She looked toward where a small glass vial was peeking out from behind a wooden chest in the corner and her breath caught in her throat. She rushed to move the chest a bit so that she could grab the vial. 

       It was small, barely fitting in her palm, and the red substance inside certainly looked like blood. The only indication that it was the antidote was the faded label wrapped around the body. The sound of boots walking toward the tent caused her to gasp slightly and shove the bottle in a tight pocket in her coat. 

      She quickly laid back down on the cot, her back facing the tent entry, the adrenaline rushing through her body making her temporarily forget her headache. She took deep breaths, trying to slow her frantic heartbeat as she heard the tent flap being pushed aside and someone stepping through. 

        The footsteps paused, their owner probably wondering if she was awake or not. When they made the sound of edging closer, Crystal slowly rolled over, blinking slowly and making it look as if she'd just woken up. 

        Thistle perched on the edge of the cot, gently brushing a white strand of hair from her forehead. Crystal fought to slap his hand away. "Are you feeling better?" he asked coldly. Crystal swallowed, nodding slowly, trying to paint a concerned and slightly frightened expression on her face. 

         "What were those things?" she whispered, having a sinking feeling he knew all about her run in with the Blood Roses. 

       Thistle regarded her as an angry alcoholic father might regard his wife who he'd just discovered harbored love for another man. "They were my personal bodyguards, Crystal. You were never meant to encounter them like that." 

        Crystal watched him and said nothing. 

         Thistle sighed and looked away. "The Blood Roses are corrupted ghosts who once roamed the darkest parts of the Wyldwood," he explained. "They are outcasts, abominations with no court or king...until now." 

          Thistle allowed a small, dark smile that sent chills up Crystal's spine. "Now they have a king, a court. They are now useful, warriors once more. They can instill the worst kind of fear into any fey they encounter; they can make a fey so afraid, they just...die."