Chapter 41 - Behind Locked Doors

**CONTAINS ADULT CONTENT**

         A hue of deep, royal purple settled over the horizon as Crystal stared out the enormous window in the palace. When she had insisted they consult Mab about her new theory that Neve was the leader of the Black Rose, her mother had reluctantly agreed. They had gathered what little belongings they needed and headed off. 

         Andal had pleaded to come along with them, but the Duchess refused, commanding that he stay at the estate and watch over things. Crystal knew he was watching them leave from the upstairs window as they rode off into the eddies of snow. 

        Now, with her belly full from the small doe she had hunted shortly before they arrived, Crystal could not help but think back to the final moments she had shared with her sister before Neve had run away, never to be seen or heard from again. Neve had drawn her throat raw from screaming at their mother, the Duchess trying in vain to convince Neve that loving a Summer fey was treason not only to her Queen but to her family as well. 

       Crystal knew Neve was ambitious, and sometimes talked of what she would be like as a ruler. Back then, Crystal thought nothing of it, assuming Neve would grow out of her ridiculous fantasies. Apparently not. 

     A door opened a short way down the hall and a thin human servant nodded her way, not meeting her eyes as he spoke. "The Queen is ready for you, my lady." Crystal stepped past the withered creature and into the room without a word of acknowledgement. Queen Mab sat on a red velvet divan, an elegant glass of red wine in her hand. 

      Crystal almost stopped in her tracks when she saw Rowan watching her from across the room, leaning against the windowpane and swirling his wine in his glass. The other two princes and her mother were present, as well, and Crystal found herself thanking all that was good and holy for that fact. 

     "So Crystal," Mab began, taking a sip of her wine. "The Duchess tells me you have a strong theory of who the leader of the Black Roses might be. Please, enlighten us." 

    Crystal kept her gaze from Rowan's as she spoke, feeling all eyes in the room boring into her. "Your Majesty, I believe the leader is my younger sister, Neve. She was always speaking of wanting to rule one day and that the courts should unite. In union, we would be stronger. We would be able to explore new lands and..." she faltered on her next words, remembering the most frequent idea Neve had boasted about. "...and we could make new fey who possessed the glamour of both courts."

     She could not look at Rowan as she said this. In fact, she found the carpet quite interesting. Mab cleared her throat. "Well, my dear Crystal, you cannot, in fact, be so set on your sister as the leader of a bloodthirsty cult simply because she talked about those things in the past."

     "Your Majesty, Neve would grow angry when I would tell her those notions were ridiculous. The two courts will never be united; we will always be at war with each other," Crystal protested. Mab raised one eyebrow and Crystal heard Rowan smirk. A jab of anger went through her as she realized she had most likely spoken without preamble. 

     "If I might say, my Queen," Ash spoke up. "I have hunted with Neve a few times over the years before her disappearance and I can also confirm she spoke of these notions, as well. She often would try to argue with me when I ordered her to cease voicing her ideas."

    Crystal blinked at Ash. She wasn't sure if he was trying to help her or put her in his debt. Mab let out an almost irritated sigh. "You have no proof, Lady Crystal. Only past stories of Neve's ideas -"

    "They're not stories!" Crystal interrupted, again. She snapped her mouth shut as her mother glared daggers at her and Mab glanced at her pointedly. Crystal swallowed. Her eyes snapped to Rowan, who was barely hiding his laughter, staring into his wine glass. She wanted to break it on his head.