Quest and a Prophecy

It was mid July, and the summer sun was beating down on the Camp. My friends and I were gathered around the rock wall, Lauren and Troy were racing and Lauren was winning by a long shot. "Yeah! Go Lauren!" Ruth cheered.

"Troy come on man, you can't be beaten by a girl." Marcus shouted.

"Shut up Marcus, you try this." Troy growled.

"Sorry man, I got goat feet." Marcus laughed.

"Chicken," I teased.

"Shut up Jackson, bet you can't beat her." Marcus challenged.

I heard a thump followed by Lauren's voice, "let's go then, Luke. First one to the top and back has to jump into the lake with their clothes on." Lauren challenged, brushing the mulch off her knees.

"You're on brainiac. Get a towel ready." I stood next to the rock wall, I clapped my hands, ready to spring into action.

"Ready...set...go!" Our friends yelled, and Lauren and I leaped off the ground, latching onto a peg on the wall. I pulled up with ease, unfortunately, so did Lauren. I pulled with my arms and pushed with my legs as Lauren and I maneuvered the various punching bags, wooden beams and vanishing pegs on the wall as we scrambled up as fast as we could.

"Ready to jump into the lake, bird brain?" I heard Lauren pant.

"I won't be the going swimming." A sudden burst of strength surged through me, I propelled up the rock wall with ease. I had reached the top first, a few seconds before Lauren had.

"Come on Luke!" I heard Troy bellow from the ground. I had just leapt off the platform heading on the direction of the second one on the wall as Lauren just pulled herself up onto the top. I hit the revolving platform with a 'thud'. My vision was hazy but I regained enough of it to leap towards the ground as a 'thud' sounded next to me as I jumped towards the gravel ground. The wind in my face dried the beads of sweat from my forehead and shirt as the sound of mulch shifting sounded from under my feet.

"Did I win?" I must've had a slurred speech when I asked.

"Yeah you did man! Just barely." Marcus grinned.

"Suck...it...smarty pants." I pointed towards the hazy figure of Lauren, her hands were on her hips. Through my blurry vision, I could almost see that smug little smile on her face as she shook her head at me. I saw a hand reach out and the second I touched it and my vision was crystal clear, the hand was soft and warm and also a bit sweaty.

"Nice run wise guy, I guess you win. I have to eat something gross." I heard a her teasing voice say.

"I...I don't think that's what we agreed the loser had to do, Lauren."

"Uh, yeah Laur, as I recall the loser, in this case you. Has to jump into the lake with your clothes on." Marcus exaggerated the last word.

"Uh, no I don't remember ever agreeing to that." Lauren stammered.

"Come on loser, into the lake!" Troy announced. Marcus, Troy and I grabbed Lauren and dragged her out towards the dock. Ruth was cracking up as Lauren kicked, swore in Greek and thrashed to break away.

"I hate you all so much!" Lauren screeched as Troy, Marcus and I set her down on the edge of the dock.

"Ready Laur? One...two...three." We all pushed Lauren off the dock but I felt a strong force of energy pull me towards the water. I heard my friends laughing before I realized that Lauren had pulled into the water with her.

"Lauren!" Was all I was able to say before she and I hit the water. The lake water felt chilled and refreshing on account of the hot summer day. My father had taught me how to open my eyes underwater I heard a muffled laugh and the sound of bubbles from next to me. Lauren's brown hair was wild, flailing in the clear water, her eyes were shut tight and she was coughing up bubbles from laughter. I could almost hear her voice in the water, I smiled at her and laughed too.