The Best Date Ever

Holy Hades I was on the verge of having an existential crisis in preparation or this date.

"Luke, you are wearing something nice right?" My fourteen year old sister Lena pounded on my bedroom door.

"I'd like to think so but you'll probably reject it anyways!" I hissed from my room. It was January, Lauren and I had been going out for six months and I was taking her out to dinner then had other fun plans for the night. I'd planned on taking her ice skating and finishing the night by walking through the park. I'd planned on wearing jeans and a nice sweater but Lena, Taylor and my mother weren't having it.

"Let us see what you're wearing!" Taylor demanded.

"Ok! Fine!" I opened the door. The girls all gasped in horror, "good gods on Olympus what is it now?" I sighed.

"That t-shirt shirt and jeans? Nuh, uh. No way. Go change." Lena sassed, I swear she was as sassy as my dad was.

"Yeah, she's right. Try the blue one on with khakis." Taylor suggested.

"I'm going ice skating, not to a five star dinner. I'm wearing jeans." I finalized.

"Ugh, fine. Try the black one with the jeans again, but let's change your hair." My mom pointed.

"What in Hades is wrong with my hair? It looks the same as it always has. Lauren likes it, and so do I." I crossed my arms.

"What's going on up here?" My dad appeared from the stairs, "oh, date night. Luke, you look nice." My dad praised.

"Ugh, gods dad, don't you see that he can't wear that t-shirt with those jeans?" Lena sighed.

"Yeah dad, he looks awful, he needs to change." Taylor groaned.

"Just so you know, I'd never let you walk out of the house wearing a t-shirt and jeans for an anniversary date." My mom stood up and kissed his cheek.

"Ok, ok, I'll leave, oh and Luke—Zoe, Charlie and I are watching the Giants game, it's really close, hurry up so you can catch the end." Dad ushered.

"Aw, what's the score?" I whined.

"21-20, Giants up one, ten minutes left of the last quarter." Dad answered before he was cut off by Zoe shouting downstairs.

"Oh come on ref! He didn't make it past the thirty yard line!"

"Gotta go, good luck buddy." Dad ran downstairs to join my siblings.

"Come on you guys, I wanna catch the end of the game." I pouted.

"When you pick something suitable then yes. Now hurry up, time is ticking." Mom tapped her invisible watch on her wrist, my little sisters laughed as I shut the door drowning away their laughter and criticism.

I pulled on a hunters green quarter zip sweater over my t-shirt before I came out once more. "This is the last straw, it's this or the t-shirt." I grumbled.

The girls scanned my outfit, "eh, it'll work for ice skating." Taylor said.

"Yeah, it's fine." Mom agreed.

"Not as nice as I'd like him to look, but it'll have to do." Lena the fashionista concluded.

"Yes! Bye!" I sprinted downstairs and leapt onto the couch to catch the last five minutes of the Giants game.

---

"Yes! Touch down! We win!" Charlie exclaimed as he jumped out of his seat as the quarterback crossed the end zone line.