Basketballs and Winter Break

"Luke! Dude how's it going?" I heard a guy named Chance say, he and I were on the basketball team, we've played together since we were eleven.

"Hey Chance, it's going well. Thank god the week is over." He bounced his basketball into my chest.

"It was great, I think Grace Weathers has a thing for me." He elbowed my shoulder. Grace Weathers, she was captain of the girls basketball team. She was tall, lean and always wore leggings and a t-shirt. I'll admit, she was pretty, but she wasn't my type.

"That's great dude, but remember who's more important." I said sarcastically and bounced the ball back to him.

"Grace Weathers? Chance, what on earth makes you think that?" Troy joined us by the three point line. It was the last day before winter break and these last few weeks seemed like they would never end.

"Shut up Valdez, I have my sources." Chance argued, shooting the ball from the three point line.

"List them." Troy dribbled the ball.

"What ever happened to bros before hoes? Why is it changing now?" I asked, dribbling the ball between my legs.

"Jackson, we're juniors, everything changes." Chance said, his eyes focused on the hoop.

"Yeah Luke, everything changes now." Troy repeated.

"Ok then Valdez, who are you into?" Chance asked with a smug look on his face.

"Anna Prescott," Troy answered quickly.

"Prescott? She's a volleyball player who happens to be dating the coolest guy in school, dream on." I stole Troy's ball.

"Hey, trust me, she'll be all over me by New Years when Bryce hosts that kick ass party." Troy snatched the ball back and sunk a layup.

"Bryce is doing it again? Yes, that's great!" Chance grinned.

"You two are nuts, you do realize that he gets busted almost every time he throws a party, right?" I asked, never having any interest in student led parties.

"Yeah and that's what makes it fun! But I think Chandler is hosting this year since Bryce is apparently grounded cause he snuck out to meet some girl and get stoned off his ass." Chance added and the three of us cracked up, "also, Chandler is loaded so this party is gonna he even crazier this year."

"Troy, you've gone to this party too?"

"Hell yeah! Been going for two years, they get wilder every year. You should go, it's a great party and you meet lots of girls."

I rolled my eyes, "I think I'll pass on your tempting offer."

"I think Lauren might actually go this year." Chance wiggled his eyebrows.

"Lauren's going?" I stopped dribbling my basketball.

"Ah ha, now we have your attention." Troy laughed.

"Lauren wouldn't go, she hates that stuff."

"Her speech and debate team is forcing everyone to go." Chance added.

"Yep, Ruth told me, she said Lauren isn't too happy about it." Troy said.

"Well yeah, Lauren isn't the party type, but she's captain this year. They won Nationals this year because of her. She's probably going to study all winter break long." I dribbled the ball and shot some layups.

"Chance the Wrapper, what's up man!" I heard Bryce call.

"I will personally punch you in the face if you ever call me that again." Chance chucked his basketball at Bryce.