Dancing in the Dark

It was April, aka SAT testing day. For the last several months I'd been studying and preparing for this test with. I was determined to score nearly perfect on it so I would have a good shot at getting into an Ivy League. And while I appreciated the help from my mom, she's been a little excessive with the practice tests and flash cards.

I already knew I wanted to go to college out of state, my heart was set on MIT in Massachusetts. That was ambitious but I was a Jackson, we have a reputation for pushing the limitations set upon us. However, if I didn't get into MIT, I'd be perfectly happy going anywhere out of state on the eastern side of the country that has a good architecture program.

I hadn't seen much of Lauren lately, after school she would study and take practice tests, during lunch she would study and write practice problems and study flash cards. I knew that she was determined to excel on this test so she could get as far away from her aunt as possible.

I knew that somehow in her own way, Lauren was going to change the world. She had such a big heart and was strong willed and she could do anything she set her mind to. She seemed intent on studying the law but wasn't sure yet. Unlike her, I've known what I've wanted to do ever since I was six. I wanted to be an architect, I always loved watching my mom draw out designs for buildings and town squares. It required such dedication and precision and even though it was time consuming, seeing the aftermath of the buildings after they were completed would be worth it.

"Did you eat a good breakfast? Should I make more eggs, more bacon? Do you need more snacks? How about an extra water bottle?" My mom was in a panic this morning, making sure I got all the nutrients and the right amount of sleep in the nights leading up to this day.

"I'm fine mom, really I feel great. I also feel fat, I don't think I'll eat for the rest of the day." I joked.

"Luke, this is no joking matter. You need to be hydrated and full so you don't let hunger distract you during these tests, eat more please." My mother demanded as she handed me another pancake.

"And if I feel sick, I won't do well either. I'm stuffed, I'll be fine." I argued.

"Yes honey, leave him alone he'll be fine. He'll crush it, just like he does with every other test. It's these four we have to worry about." My dad teased.

"Hey, I'm smart." Lena giggled as my dad tickled her sides.

"So am I dad," Taylor playfully slapped his arm.

"I'm good at reading," Zoe added grinning big.

"I'd like to say that I'm the smartest guy in my class." Charlie boasted.

"You must be in a pretty dumb class then." Lena laughed.

"Screw you, Lena" Charlie whacked her arm and everyone laughed, even mom who was trying desperately to hide the smile tugging at her lips. Charlie and Lena were thirteen now, they were going into eighth grade next year. Zoe was almost fifteen, she'd be a sophomore next year and Taylor had just turned twelve a month ago and she was loving sixth grade.

"Guys that's enough, you're all going to be late for school. Luke, take Zoe with you. Let's go guys." My mom shoved us into the mud room, my parents and my siblings wished me luck as Zoe and I ran out the door.

"I get shot gun, even when we get Lauren." Zoe grinned as she buckled her seat belt.

"Ugh fine, but Lauren won't be talking much, she's studying even harder now." I answered as I pulled out of our driveway and parked in hers. Lauren came out about a minute later.

She was mumbling to herself as she held a giant textbook and a brick of flash cards. "Hey Lauren!" I called as she shut the door.

Lauren didn't answer me, she just kept mumbling to herself. I swear she was like my mom when she got into work mode.