Prom and Drama

I asked Lauren to prom. Well not exactly, it had been Ruth's idea that we all go in a big group, Lauren tried several times to get out of it but we weren't going to let her get out of this that easily.

After lunch when we'd discussed it about a week ago Troy came up to me and asked me, "Luke, can you help me with something?"

"Yeah, is it Algebra homework? Cause I-"

"No it's not school related, I was wondering if you could help me come up with a way to ask Anna to prom." Troy nervously scratched he back of his neck.

"Oh, sure, yeah I'd be happy to help. I actually have a few ideas, based on what I've seen around school." I began.

"Great, lay them on me." Troy gave me a relieved smile.

"First and foremost you need a pun that involves something she likes, which in her case is volleyball. Or you do her favorite food with some pun about it. Or if you're really feeling confident, you should do it privately like out on a date but be approachable when you ask." I explained.

"Oh, ok thanks Luke, I'll get started on it right away." Troy waved as he went off to his next class.

That was about a week ago, then on Thursday of that week he came to school with a handmade poster that his sister Penny had clearly drawn and asked Anna to prom. Obviously, she'd said yes, so Troy invited her to come with us. And since Anna is one of the few nice girls in our school, she was happy to tag along with our group.

But as nice as she was, something seemed a little off about her. She seemed too nice to come across as genuine. I couldn't put my finger on it but I senses Anna had other intentions with Troy other than just dating him. I also noticed that Ruth would give Anna the stink eye every time her back was turned. I'd never seen her act like this and I've known her for about as long as I've known Lauren. The funny thing was Troy never seemed to notice, he'd always ask us what we thought of Anna but he seemed to be the only who couldn't see the way Ruth was acting around him and Anna.

---

Today was prom day, the guys and I were going out to get our tuxes while the three girls spent the day getting ready for the big night. "I don't understand why we have to look nice, why couldn't I just wear black or khaki pants with a blazer and a white shirt, I'm gonna be sweating like a big in this thing." Troy complained as he modeled his tux for us.

"Pigs don't sweat stupid. But I get it, I might wear a white shirt instead or else my pits will be growing mushrooms by the end of the first hour." Marcus laughed.

"Ok that's a bit too much info for me. It's just one night you guys, at least we don't have to dress like this everyday. That would really suck." I mentioned as I straightened my navy blue tie.

"He just wants to look nice for his girlfriend." Marcus snickered.

"She's not my girlfriend Marcus. Shut up ok?" I growled.

"Don't poke the bear with the stick Marcus." Troy tried hard to contain his laughter.

"What fool would...oh it was a metaphor. Wow, ok, I'm an idiot." Marcus thought aloud.

"Yeah it was. How does this look boys?" I asked turning around from the mirror.

"You look sharp, dude." Troy gave me a thumbs up.

"Yep, true dat. Lauren won't be able to keep her hands off you." Marcus was cracking up. I shot him a death glare which shut him up immediately, "ok, ok I'll stop. I kid, you know?" Marcus held his hands in the air in defense.