The Best Day Ever

8 years later...

I awoke to the sound of aggressive tapping, I blinked away the crust in my eyes and rolled to the left. The clock read 8:30, it felt good to sleep in on a weekday. I'd taken the day off to spend it with my best friend who had just graduated from Harvard yesterday, I was so proud of her. Lauren had finally finished law school and was already hired at a big firm starting next week. She was working with children, adoption and family law because she wanted to help kids escape people and families who were dangerous and didn't provide them with the love they deserved.

I knew this choice was all because of her upbringing with her aunt. Lauren was ready to dedicate the rest of her life to helping children escape a living situation that she'd gone through so they could go on and hopefully find love and success in their futures.

I rolled to the right and my eyes caught sight of black volleyball shorts, a white Harvard t-shirt and a bright screen illuminating Lauren's face next to me. She was arched over the laptop, the words reflecting on her round reading glasses. Her curly brown hair was in a messy ponytail and she was biting her lip, deep in concentration. Even in the morning she was beautiful, hell any time of day she was.

I still couldn't believe I'd gotten her, I couldn't believe she was my girlfriend. I couldn't believe that we'd lived together for the last four years in this apartment together. I loved waking up next to her and falling asleep beside her. I loved holding her close as we fell asleep together every night, I loved smiling at her while she slept, I loved everything about her.

This morning I decided to toy with her, I had to see her smile. "Lauren," I groaned, "stop that infernal tapping, I can't stand it." I buried my face into the pillow.

"Sorry Luke, but I've gotta finish this report, I have to send it out by Monday." Lauren didn't look at me, her eyes were padlocked on the screen.

I sat up and wrapped my arms around her, nestled her onto my lap and kissed her soft cheek, "take a break, you need it." I mumbled into her ear.

"Today's the day I finish, then we can do whatever you want tomorrow, I promise." By the tone in her voice she wanted to pull away from me but her body wouldn't listen.

I slightly tightened my grip around her little waist and kissed her neck, Lauren leaned back into me and her head rested on my shoulder. "Luke...you've gotta stop, I need to finish—" Lauren protested but her voice died away as I worked my way up her neck, nearing her lips, she gasped and pushed herself even more into me.

"Luke, not now," Lauren's voice came out in a hoarse whisper as I kissed her cheek. I rested my lips on hers, I felt her kiss me back then jerk away. "Gods, you taste disgusting." Lauren pretended to gag, I fought every desire in my body not to kiss her again.

"You don't taste so good yourself," I smirked.

Lauren rolled her eyes, "oh yeah, what do I taste like?"

I scooted closer to her and closed the laptop, "work. It tastes like morning."

Lauren rolled her eyes and reached for her laptop, I snagged it away just before her fingers could touch it. "Luke give it back, I have to finish." Lauren reached for it but I hid it behind my back.

"You said you're going to send it out on Monday. Please Laur, it's Friday. The day after graduation, you should be out celebrating. I took the day off to spend it with you, not to watch you work. You can wait one day then you can finish it. Now come on, get dressed I've got a fun day planned out for us." I took the laptop, rounded the corner to the bathroom and locked the door.