The Fourth of July Dance

It was the night of the Fourth of July fireworks dance at Camp. I was determined to ask Lauren to the dance, and not with a group this time. I had to ask her tonight, I didn't care about what Hera had said. All I knew there was a part of Lauren wanted this, but if Hera was right and Lauren didn't really want this, then I would have to accept it. Even though it would break my heart, I had to try, just once, just to see if she liked me.

I ate my breakfast with my cabin mates this morning, they were all talking about their dates or the people they were going to ask to the dance tonight. "Luke, I think someone is eyeballing you," my friend Tyler gestured towards the Aphrodite table.

I didn't turn around, and I didn't want to. Andrea had been giving me a goo goo eyes for the last week, she always butted in whenever I was talking to Lauren. All the times I'd thought about asking her, bam! Andrea was there fawning all over me, I must've told her a million times that I didn't like her. Even though everyone at Camp always told me how lucky I was that she was throwing herself at me constantly, they didn't understand how much I disliked her. The only people who understood were Troy, Ruth, Lauren, and a few of my other friends who actually could see past the first layer of Andrea.

"I don't care, she can stare all she wants I still don't like her and I've told her that countless times. I've done everything I can to tell her that I'm not interested but she never gets the message." I sighed before chomping down on a piece of bacon. It was strange now that I think about it. For the last month, girls have been talking me so about everything, from the dance to my personal life and I'd hardly given them a second glance. I mean sure, most were nice, but the one I wanted was the girl who never did that stuff to get my attention, not intentionally anyways.

"Hi Luke," a girl named Leila waved as she passed by me. She was from the Demeter cabin, she was a nice girl but not the one I had my eye on. I waved and smiled politely in response but didn't say anything.

"At least say hi, you have every girl at Camp talking to you. You should be enjoying this." Tyler scolded.

"Well I don't like it, all of them are talking to me but none of them are the one I want to ask." I answered firmly.

"Aw, Luke you're so sweet, Lauren must be flattered that you feel like this about her." A girl named Melia cooed.

I scratched the back of my neck, "yeah uh....she kinda doesn't know about this." I lowered my voice in embarrassment.

Melia stabbed her fork into the table, "what?" She gave me a death glare. I opened my mouth to respond but Melia had her own ideas. "What in Hades are you waiting for Luke? That's why every girl at camp is flirting with you, they think you're available. If you want them to stop, you need to pull up your big boy pants and ask Lauren to the mother fucking dance."

Everyone at our table gasped, I almost fell out of my chair, Melia never cusses. "Whoa, easy girl, no need for that language." Trevor, her twin brother, touched her shoulder.

"Sorry, but it's true, Troy already asked Ruth and he was scared shitless. Lauren won't say no, stupid. She likes you, you're her best friend, and you're hers. She sees the way you look at her, everyone can see it Luke. The way you look at her is different from how look at any other girl. When you look at Lauren, the moon and stars shine out your eyes. If that isn't enough indication that you like like her, I don't know what is. Go ask her to the dance." Melia was breathing heavily as she finished her sentence. She was right, except for the fact that she said it in a very poetic way, I know I don't look at other girls in the same way I look at Lauren. Melia was right, I was going to ask her, because today was the day.

"You're right Melia, in a poetic sense but yes, today's the day. I'm finally gonna do it, I'm gonna ask her." I sat up straight and grinned with confidence as my eyes caught Lauren walking over to the dining area to drop off her plate.