Chapter 17

If I adore You out of fear of Hell, burn me in Hell!

If I adore you out of desire for Paradise,

Lock me out of Paradise.

But if I adore you for Yourself alone,

Do not deny to me Your eternal beauty.

-Rabia Al Basri: If I Adore You

I don't see Edward the next day. I realise quickly through itthat it was due to the bright sun making it's rare appearance in Forks.

I assumed I wouldn't see him today either. Even though it's early the blue skies look promising enough.

I pull out the poptart from the toaster and head to the door to start my short trek to Bella's.

Twisting the door knob open, I'm surprised to see Edward standing on my porch wearing a dark grey shirt, his hands stuffed in his jean pockets.

My heart immediately does that stupid lurch it does whenever I see him.

"Hi." I greet awkwardly.

"Hey. Do you, uh want a ride to school today?" He asks sounding uncertain, as if he's unsure I'll accept.

"Uh, okay." I shrug.

"Really?" He brightens.

"Yeah. I mean you came all this way."

"Do you want to go now?"

"Can I eat my poptart in your car?" I ask seriously, holding up the bitten poptart in my hand.

"Sure."

"Then, yeah we can go now." I say, grabing the jean jacket hanging over the table and shrugging it on.

"Let's go." I say when we're seated in Edward's Volvo.

"We're not going anywhere until you have put on your seatbelt."

"Seat belt shmeatbelt." I wave off "I walk on the wild side. I laugh in the face of danger!" I start laughing maniacally.

He stares at me unblinkingly, his eyebrows slightly furrowed and his lips quirked into the smallest of smiles.

"It's Simba." I explain, waiting for the look of revelation to appear on his face. Instead he shakes his head slowly.

"From The Lion-. Never mind." I shake my head and pull the seatbelt over my chest.

"I understood the reference." He says as he starts up his engine. "You're just horrible at impressions." He says with a smirk and a debonair wink.

I pout and cross my arms over my chest. "Rude." I state.

"I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings?" He asks smiling in a way that suggests that he's anything but apologetic.

"No." I mumble. I stare out the window at the passing trees while I nibble on my now-cold pop tart.

Through the corner of my eye I see Edward's hand reach for the car radio. Almost immediately the car is filled with a soft violin orchestration.

"Vivaldi? I question, recognizing the music piece.

"Yeah." He looks away from the road and at me in surprise. "Are you a fan of classical music?" He asks curiously.

I shrug. "Sorta. I mean I used to listen to some artisy kid's Spotify playlist while I was studying to releax.

"Spotify?" He asks, confusion laced on his face.