Chapter 5 - Detention

Disclaimer- don't own characters x
—————————————

"This is ridiculous!" Hermione shouted across the room, ferociously grabbing at her belongings and piling them into her bag. "None of this makes any sense, what so ever!"

At that comment, Sybill Trelawney's mouth nearly hit the floor. "How. Dare. You!" She hissed, rounding on the girl. "Detention!"

"Good!" Hermione shouted back, not a single care in the world for the class that were eagerly watching the exchange from their tables.

She lifted her head high into the air and stormed out.

~

"Mister Malfoy what in Merlin's name are you doing?" Professor Flitwick shrieked, running towards the eraser that was now completely engulfed in flames.

"I thought you wanted us to practise." Draco drawled as the professor hurriedly extinguished the flames and magicked the rubber back to its former state.

"On the feather, Mister Malfoy." Professor Flitwick seethed, flinging his cloak around and heading back towards his desk.

"Oh!" He gasped, turning to look at the boy, "I'm afraid, as this is the third 'incident' this week, that you are required to attend detention tonight, Mister Malfoy."

This was where Draco drew the line. He hurriedly pulled his feet off of the desk and straightened up from his lounging position. No way was he going to the forbidden forest again like in his first year, it didn't matter how old he was or what he'd faced, that was one scary place.

"No professor, I'm not." His voice cut through the class like a knife, everyone held their breath, eagerly awaiting the teachers answer.

"No?" He repeated, staring at the platinum-headed boy, "I hardly think that saying a mere 'no' will change my mind. In fact, Mister Malfoy, I am in charge of detention myself and I will see to it that you attend. See you in the great hall at 8pm sharp, class dismissed."

Draco growled quietly to himself and flung his bag over his shoulder before sauntering out. He was trying to play off the fact that he'd got a detention, but he had a sinking feeling in his stomach, he hadn't done anything wrong for years, and his mother would be furious when she found out. Nonetheless, Draco knew it would be worse if he didn't attend, so he mentally prepared himself for all that was to follow and decided to enjoy the rest of his day.

~

Hermione, being her punctual self, was seated in the hall ten minutes early, humming quietly to herself while she completed her potions essay. She was well aware of the time, but she didn't feel that she'd really done anything wrong, so she was a little careless as to who arrived in the great hall; although a loud thud caught her attention and she drew her eyes away from the parchment to find two illuminated grey eyes staring into her own. Hermione was surprised that Malfoy had even bothered to show up to his detention, she'd assumed he would think himself above such an activity - careless of the consequences of disobeying teachers usually because there never were any for him. Adding to Hermione's shock, he strode straight over and sat down across from her at the table...

"Granger." Draco acknowledged, before pulling out his own work and dipping his quill into a pot of ink.

"Malfoy." Hermione replied, but she didn't resume her work straight away, as she zoned out, deep in thought about why, out of all of the available seats, Draco had chosen to sit across from her.

~

Draco could feel Hermione's eyes boring holes into his back and reluctantly he placed his quill on the table and looked up at her. He almost smirked when he noticed how she flinched in shock that he'd caught her staring but stopped himself when he remembered Blaise's words.
'If everyone else forgives them and you're the only one who still hates them all - you're going to be considered the bad guy and left alone.'
Being left alone was one of Draco's biggest fears, all he'd ever wanted was acceptance after all.