Chapter 22 - The Ball

I don't own characters
—————————————————————-

"Relax." Draco told Hermione through his teeth, watching the carriages all neatly pull into a line.

The students had all been briefed on how they'd arrive - one carriage after the next, and the doors would open when it was time for the carriage's passengers to enter the dance. Upon walking into the hall, the names of the children will be announced and a spotlight shone on them, just to give everyone a sense of superiority. Draco thought it was rediculous and over the top - but only because he was planning to get a spotlight for himself and Hermione to make a grand entrance. Now it was ruined, and they'd enter just like everyone else - but the shock of the couple would still be there.

"I'm sorry. Really." Hermione mumbled, staring down at her heels and twiddling her thumbs in her lap. Draco took them in his own hands.

"It's going to be okay. They're our friends, and if they don't agree - then they aren't. This is about us, not them." He assured her, just as the lights in the coach illuminated the pair. "And you look pretty good."

"Way to make me feel special." Hermione joked, squeezing Draco's hand for a second before smoothing down her dress. "How many more coaches?"

"None. That went fast." Draco admitted, watching the last coach sail off behind the ones before it.

The door sprung open with a jolt and caused the pair to involuntarily jump. Hermione laughed at Draco for being scared and took his hand - the only way to get through this was together, as Hermione already knew from past experiences. She stepped down onto the kerb and waited for Draco to step out behind her. The Flammel Hall was bewitched to look like a palace from the outside, and Hermione heard a rumour that McGonagall was planning on making the inside even bigger than usual for the event.

"Ready?" Draco asked her, not waiting for an answer before tugging her arm forward.
No going back now.

~

Draco could tell that Hermione was scared, and he caught her turn and peek back at the carriage - she probably would have gotten back into it and sailed off if it hadn't left before she could. If nothing else, Draco was excited - tonight would go down in wizarding history.

The sound of the giant doors swinging open jolted them both back to reality, and for a second, they hesitated. Entering this hall could have potentially catastrophic consequences.

Oh well.

Draco gave Hermione's hand a squeeze, letting down his guard for a second because he knew that she needed it. Hermione squeezed back, and he knew that everything would be okay.
They took the hesitant steps forward into the hall, and stopped right at the top of the staircase.

The room was giant, with a winding staircase that opened out in the middle, it looked as though you entered from the top of a cliff and the party was at the bottom. A single red runner covered the middle of the staircase and followed right down to the end of the hall. The windows were giant, floor to ceiling, and were bewitched to show an enchanted forest outside. A single golden chandelier hung from the roof, tiered diamonds cascading from underneath it, casting a thousand different colours around the room. The polished marble floor held what looked like hundreds of people, and waiters carrying delicious looking trays of treats were scattered throughout the students.
Draco could see Professor McGonagall and Neville dancing together in a far corner, a few students huddled around and cheering them on - typical Neville. Snapping Draco out of his awed search of the hall came a monotonic voice-

'Ms. Hermione Granger and Mr. Draco Malfoy'

The sentence froze the hall, and before the couple knew what had happened, a giant spotlight shone upon them, the ray of light slowly moving forward as if willing them into the party. It seemed as though even the bewitched instruments were surprised, for the classical music that had filled the hall seconds before had ceased, and now the silence was deafening. Hermione was trembling ever so slightly, and Draco knew he had to take charge. He smiled and waved to everyone, even though the light blocked him from seeing them, and held Hermione's hand up in the air for everyone to see. Confidently, he strode down the stairs, half-dragging her along behind him. The journey seemed to take years, and Draco could still sense a thousand eyes on him and his date. He'd have to step it up.