Chapter 16 - Bickering Again

Disclaimer/ Not my characters
~

Hermione picked at her breakfast while Ron and Harry fired endless questions at her about her friendship with Draco. She'd hoped that they would have let it go, but she was smart enough to know that that isn't how anything works.

"Can I please just eat my breakfast?" She snapped. She was slightly angry at her unrealistic expectations for how their friendship would be this term.

The boys quietened down a little, and begrudgingly, Hermione felt her eyes draw up towards the Slytherin table across the hall in search of a certain blond head. He wasn't there.
Pansy however, was, and Parvati was sitting beside her giggling at something she'd said. Hermione frowned. Parvati wasn't even supposed to be at the table, and clearly the pair must be much closer than Pansy let on initially.
Hermione made a mental note to ask about it in their next class together, which happened to be charms - one of Hermione's favourites.

Hermione finished off her breakfast, sharing little more than a few sentences with the two boys across the table from her. In no time, she was sitting at a desk, quill in hand, beside Pansy - who was looking a little off.

"Pansy?" Hermione whispered, catching her friend's attention.

"Yeah?" The girl replied, flicking her head in Hermione's direction.

"What's going on with you? You seem a little bit off, and you and Parvati? I thought you weren't that close but I saw-"

"Something important, Miss Granger?" Professor Flitwick cut, raising an eyebrow at the girl, who was flushing a brilliant shade of pink.

"Sorry Professor." Hermione muttered, shooting Pansy a 'well talk about this later' look and continuing with her work.

~

Draco stared at the bushy head a few rows in front and wondered what to say. He had to think of a brilliant way to trick her into confessing, or something equally embarrassing. That way he can outmanoeuvre her, instead. The fact that 'The Lord of the Rings' is a muggle book was tugging at the corner of Draco's mind. He'd tried his best to put all of his muggle beliefs behind him, along with the memories of his father, but sometimes it was harder than it should be. He was fine with muggle-born witches and wizards, hell, he'd just spent a whole holiday with one - it was the whole muggle thing that irked him. He couldn't help a belief that had been drilled into him since he could talk- muggles are beneath wizards. And why is it up to Hermione to break down that barrier and make him unwillingly read a muggle book?

"Drake?" Blaise called, lobbing a book at Draco's head. "Everyone's left..."

Draco snapped his head up and noted the empty classroom, gathered his things and left. He never payed attention in charms anyway, it was one of the most boring classes he had. Next however, was transfiguration, which was sure to be a little bit more exciting.

Blaise and Draco stepped inside the classroom feeling smug, steering well clear of the back of the room for a change, where their own creation was set to be most vicious. Just after the pair had sat down, all of the colour drained from Blaise's face and he grabbed Draco's arm.

"Drake." He said quickly, sorrow written into his face. "I didn't do it."

"You what?" Draco hissed back, as McGonagall entered the room and the noise dimmed a little.

"You stormed out and I was so caught up in chasing you that I forgot all about it!" Blaise whispered back, smacking his hand up to his face in disbelief.

"Well did you at least pick them up?!" Draco asked quickly, for he too, realised what this meant.

"It's alright they're hidden in-" Blaise began, but was cut off by the clearing of their professor's throat.