Chapter 18 - Reputations

don't own characters
————————————

Hermione's quill was flying across the paper faster than anyone else in the class. She could sense a pair of eyes on her back but she was far too invested in her work to see who it was. She was almost done the paper and then she was free to leave early and she really wanted to get to the library - NEWTs had came up faster than she could blink and now they were only a week away. Hermione sure had a lot of studying to do.

She clicked her tongue and threw her quill into her bag before shooting her hand up into the air, "I've completed the paper, professor, may I be excused?"

"Of course, dear." Professor Flitwick smiled, waddling over to Hermione and taking the piece of parchment from her.

"I've finished too, may I leave also?" Came another voice, much to Hermione's shock.

The professor blinked a few times but nodded and took Blaise's work as well. The boy grinned boyishly at Hermione and motioned for her to follow him out of the room. Reluctantly, she did so - praying he wouldn't be too long and she could get to the library. As soon as they were outside of the class he turned to face her.

"Some class, huh?" He said, "it's so boring."

"Yeah.." Hermione half-answered, shifting her weight from one foot to the other repeatedly. "Hey, look Blaise, I'd love to stay and talk, really, but I have so much studying to do and-"

"Oh! We can study together!" He exclaimed, "Uh, I mean, if you'd like to."

Hermione inwardly rolled her eyes, because it would just be rude to say no to him, so she nodded her head and led the way to her favourite place in all of Hogwarts.

~

Draco's mind was swimming, and he completely couldn't focus on his work, not now that he knew Hermione and Blaise were off together somewhere - doing who-knows-what. His eyes traced back to the empty seat a few rows in front, where Hermione had been seated minutes before. How he wished he was as smart as she was, so that he could get out of class. He would have just handed in the essay as it was, but he wasn't doing so well in charms, and it really was necessary if he wanted to peruse his dream career, which he still hadn't worked out yet.

"Psst." A voice hissed at Draco, making him snap to reality. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah?" He whispered back, "why wouldn't I be? And why are you laughing?"

"You look so out of it." Parvati giggled, turning back and whispering something in Pansy's ear that made her pale a little bit and then smack the girl's arm.

Draco shook it off and tried his best to get his fuzzy mind to focus on the paper, but all he could think of was him and a certain Gryffindor alone in a classroom, which was enough to keep a giddy smile on his face for the rest of the lesson.

~

"Which spell causes objects to multiply upon touch?" Blaise fired at her, trying his best to trip her up.

"Easy. Gemino." Hermione replied, rolling her eyes. She hadn't got one flash card wrong yet.

"What's the point of flash cards if you already know all the answers? You're going to ace all of these tests and we both know it." Blaise complained, throwing down the last card they had.

"It's a good memory refresher." She said, holding out her hand for Blaise to put the cards in. "And besides, it's your turn now."

"Oh no." He mocked, laughing. "You'll never forgive me."

"Oh come off of it." She admonished, reading the first card. "Here, an easy one, in which year was the statue of secrecy introduced?"

"Oh!" Blaise shot, eyes lighting up. "I have no clue! Just like I told you I wouldn't!"