Chapter 23 - A New Chapter

Don't own characters
————————————————————————
"Well?" A voice, too loud and too early. "How was it? You and mystery girl's big night?"

Oh. Blaise.

"Splendid. Let me sleep." Draco groaned, rolling onto his stomach and burying his head under the covers.

"We've got to be out in three hours." Blaise warned, laughing and beginning to loudly throw things into his trunk. "Hope you're ready."

"Shut up, would you both?" Harry grunted, also rolling over.

"Wasn't last night just the best?" Neville swooned, sitting up and stretching his neck. "Padma is a wonderful dancer. How was Ginny? And H-"

"GREAT." Draco yelled, praying that Blaise couldn't work out the full name from the first letter, but the likelihood was low.

"Who?" Blaise asked the boy, turning to face him. "Who did Draco go with?"

"I- Weren't you there Blaise?" Neville stammered. "He went with.. Well, you know. Everyone saw."

"I didn't go, who was it?" Blaise repeated his question, edging towards Neville.

"That doesn't matter." Draco cut in, eyeing Neville and throwing the covers off of himself. "I'll tell you on the train."

Draco saw Neville and Harry exchange looks but didn't say anything, he was far too tired to argue at the moment, and his head was pounding from the punch that was certainly spiked.

"I'm going to breakfast." He told them all.

"Okay, I'll come." Blaise offered, dropping his robes to the ground.

"No you won't."

~

The hall was barren of any seventh-years. It was as if last night wiped them all out. Hermione picked at her toast but she wasn't all that hungry. Pansy and Parvati hadn't said a word to her all night or morning and so Hermione had packed her belongings as quickly as possible and was planning on waiting out at Hogsmeade station until the train came. Being in their room was suffocating, there were so many things that were staying unsaid. But Hermione had been nothing but kind last night, and for once she was confident that this wasn't her fault.

"Hi." Draco said, and Hermione turned and looked up at him.

"I didn't see you come in. How's Blaise?" Hermione asked him, genuinely wondering.

"I haven't told him yet." Draco admitted, not meeting her eye.

"That's so sneaky!" Hermione gasped. "He's going to be nice to you all morning and then just before you leave you'll spring that news on him? Meanwhile, I sat in silence all night and packed by myself all morning because both of my roommates hate me!"

"Hey." Draco said, finally looking at her. "Different strategies - and luck - If Blaise was there last night, he'd know too."

"I suppose." Hermione grumbled, accepting her defeat. "My head hurts - what was in that punch?"

"I'm pretty sure that Seamus spiked it, mine hurts too." Draco told her, taking the piece of toast from Hermione and downing it.

"Hey! I was-"

"No you weren't."

"You're right."

She watched him eat her toast and couldn't stop the grin that was spreading across her face. This was their last morning here, and then they had the rest of their lives to look forward to. She had a feeling their lives would be connected for many years to come, and the thought warmed her.