Chapter 15 - The End of Break

Not my characters
——————-

The days following Christmas were uneventful, to say the least. Draco and Hermione exchanged the odd word, sometimes civil, a lot of the time not - and overall things just carried on as usual. The Christmas decorations had all disappeared as fast as they'd come and now the castle resumed its usual appearance. Just as well, because the rest of the school was due to return that morning.

Hermione waited anxiously on the platform, eager to be there when the train returned so that she could see Pansy. Their friendship was odd, and completely unexpected, but Hermione had been feeling pretty lonely without her. She also wanted to thank Ginny for the necklace she'd sent, and say hello to Harry, even if they hadn't been talking much. Just as she thought that, the chugging of the train's wheels filled the air, and in seconds, the Hogwarts Express was stationary in front of Hermione.

"Hermione!" Came a screech from a carriage a few doors down, and the brunette did a double take when she saw Pansy step off the train, followed closely by Parvati.

"Good morning girls!" Hermione smiled warmly once they were close enough to talk at a normal volume. "How was your break?"

"Wonderful!" Pansy mused, and Parvati answered much the same before stepping off the platform with a wave.
"I absolutely loved your gift! Did you like the candies? I didn't know what to get you, I'm so sorry!" Pansy babbled.

"It's alright, and they were great, thankyou Pansy" Hermione replied, leading the way off the platform and through the crowds of students. "Hey, were you and Parvati sitting together on the carriage?"

"Hmm?" Pansy asked, averting her eyes to the Hog's Head and flushing a tad. "Oh all right. I suppose we were."

"What happened there?" Hermione asked, unable to contain her shock. "I thought you weren't that close?"

"She's not all that bad." Pansy replied slowly, clearly embarrassed that she'd been so harsh on the girl.

Hermione just laughed a little bit and continued walking. She spotted Harry but he was chatting eagerly to Ron and she didn't really want to interfere so she continued on her way - or tried to, at least. Ron's eyes were repeatedly flicking to meet Hermione's, as if asking for her to come over. She felt a dull pang in her heart, but nothing like what it used to be, and nodded at him as if to say 'hello.' A mistake, clearly, because Ron took off straight towards her.

"Uh, hello Hermione." He said, clearing the space between them in no time. Pansy looked from Ron to Hermione and back again, and seemingly decided to stay. "Can.. Can I have a minute? Just one?" He asked her.

Pansy looked over at Hermione to be sure, and left in response to a wave of her friend's hand. "Yes, Ronald?" Hermione asked coldly, not easily forgetting the way he treated her leading to their break up and ever since.

"Hermione.." He said softly, pleadingly, "I had time, over the break to think-"

"You've had time all year to think, the issue is you not actually utilising it." Hermione cut, making to walk off again, she didn't want to hear a sob-story and an excuse at all.

"I miss you." Ron began, and practically yelled the next part as Hermione took a few steps, "not in a romantic way!"

Hermione stopped at those words, feeling a mixture of relief and shock and hurt- shouldn't he miss her in a romantic way? Was she that bad of a girlfriend? "How do you miss me then?" She spat, not turning around.

"As a friend, you were always there for me, and we've been friends for years. I took it too far by asking for it to be anything more. And the way that I've treated you over the past few weeks, Hermione, I feel terrible, and mum's gone mental at me for it." He explained, sadness in his voice, "for not inviting you for Christmas, I mean."