Chapter 8 - Practise

Don't own characters
—————————————

The days had been slowly slipping by as the weather gradually turned from warm sunshine and long days to icy breezes and early nights. Hermione had been studying almost non-stop for her upcoming exams and NEWTs. By now, she had worked out the perfect way to keep peace in their dormitory between Pansy and Parvati - meaning it was usually a quiet and good place to study. On this particular day however, Hermione couldn't help but be distracted - as her two roommates were bickering unnecessarily loudly over who was the one that snored. She knew it was Pansy, but by now the pair had become pretty close, and she also knew the girl was very sensitive.

"Guys.." Hermione began, causing both girls to snap their heads in her direction.

"Yeah!" Pansy cried suddenly, making Hermione jump, "you tell us who snores!"

"Oh! Oh- no neither of you do, it's uh.. Crookshanks!" She lied quickly, holding the tabby out to them as if merely by seeing the feline they'd know it was him.

Clearly satisfied and oblivious to the lie, the pair frowned at each other and shrugged, then parted ways. Parvati turned on her heel and strode out of the room and Pansy turned and plopped down next to her friend.

"Why don't we do something fun?" Pansy begged, poking Hermione's shoulder to get her attention.

"Because we need to pass, Pans." Hermione replied, but she shut the book she was reading and turned to the girl anyway.

"Come on, we'll go and watch Dra- I mean the Slytherin quidditch team train." Pansy smiled, blushing slightly as she stood up.

"The enemy?!" Hermione gasped, pretending to be appalled at the thought of cheering them on - but she too got off the chaise.

Pansy just laughed and led the way out of the room, Hermione trailing behind, with her book clutched firmly between her fingers.

~

The wind swept Draco's hair every which way as he flew around the pitch - eyes peeled as he scanned every part of the course for the tiny golden speck that he was supposed to find. Just as he thought he spotted it, his eyes trailed further along and he noticed two people sitting down in the stands below. He steered himself towards the intruders, ready to give them a piece of his mind for stealing Slytherin's techniques - when he realised that it was Pansy and ... Hermione.

"What's she doing here?" Draco asked Pansy; in his head it had sounded a bit more aggressive but it hadn't come out that way.

"She" Hermione cut in, smiling "was asked, but don't worry - I won't steal your techniques, I have much more interesting things to look at."

Draco went to retort but snapped his mouth shut as he watched her pull out a huge book on what seemed to be herbology, without even a second glance at him.

"Draco.." Pansy began, batting her eyelids at him.

"Malfoy! I've seen the snitch twice now! Get up here and do your job or i'll get someone else to do it for you!" Came another voice from back up in the sky - causing the blond-headed boy to scowl and drag himself back up to playing level.

As he shot skywards, he saw Pansy huff impatiently and fold her arms over her chest, and just managed to catch her muttering about how quidditch was stupid and she was more important. He laughed a little bit to himself and then re-focused onto his game as quickly as he'd lost it - say what you will about him, but Draco was a good quidditch player.

~

Almost.. Done!

Hermione smiled as she closed the old book and stuffed it back into her bag. That's one more subject she's finished her studying for - well the main part, obviously she'd look back over them all, but for now everything was done.