Chapter 9 - Common room, uncommon occurences.

Don't own characters x
—————-

Hermione and Pansy had managed to get the best seats in the common room - right infront of the fire in the comfy armchairs. There were only 2 days until the Christmas Break began and the pair were relishing their last days together.

"We've only got one more exam for the semester!" Pansy cheered, causing a few other students to cast her awkward glances.

"Right." Hermione agreed, looking up from her transfiguration book, "so why aren't you studying?"

"Boo! Don't be so boring!" Pansy spat, jumping up off her chair and casting a spell on the piano in the corner of the room - it jolted to life and began playing a hearty tune.

Hermione had just got the bookmark in when Pansy grabbed both of her hands and yanked her to her feet, swinging her around the room in what Hermione assumed was Pansy's idea of dancing. Pansy was laughing and swaying to the music and her attitude was so infectious that soon Hermione began to laugh and dance too. In mere minutes, everyone in the common room had begun to dance, no doubt in some kind of end-of-semester stupor. Hermione had just pulled off a pretty complex move when Blaise entered the room. He did a double-take at the door and then spotted Hermione and began to laugh, making his way over.

"That was good, I'll admit." The boy smiled, reaching out his hand to her, "dance with me?"

Hermione hesitated as she looked towards Pansy, but the girl seemed to have conveniently disappeared and was now dancing with Millicent in the corner of the room.

"Sure. Just make sure you can keep up." Hermione teased, taking his hand and laughing at the look on his face as he comprehended her insult.

"Ouch. Will do." Blaise mocked, and suddenly spun her around, laughing.

~

Music. How was anyone supposed to study when there was blasting music and shrieks of laughter coming from the common room? Draco was sitting on his bed trying his best to go over his blasted transfiguration homework - which he still didn't completely understand, but he was finding it impossible with the ruckus that was going on downstairs.  Just as he was about to give up, the door opened, revealing someone who Draco completely didn't want to see, so the boy pretended to still be reading.

"Malfoy." Harry acknowledged, throwing his quidditch stuff into his trunk and flopping onto his bed.

Draco didn't reply, just because he didn't have friends other than Crabbe and Goyle - doesn't mean he'd stoop so low as to befriend Potter, of all people. The boy didn't seem to notice or care, and began to fumble around under his pillow for a book.

"They're having a party down there, you know." He said awkwardly, peering over his book at Draco.

"I have ears, Potter." Draco retorted sourly, catching the boys' eye,

"Why aren't you down there? Blaise and Pansy are." Harry replied, not able to resist asking.

"And what makes you think i'd tell you?" Draco drawled, rolling his eyes disbelievingly at the raven-headed boy.

"We've shared a dormitory for a whole semester without killing each other - we're basically friends now." Harry reasoned jokingly, pulling at a corner of his page.

"I said something to Blaise." Draco admitted - realising that he had nothing to lose by sharing. "Now he doesn't want to talk to me until I apologise, and I don't know why Pansy doesn't seem interested in me anymore... Not that I care."

"Oh. What did you say?" Harry asked, pushing his luck a little too far.

"As if i'd tell you." Draco sneered and flew towards the window, looking out over the frosty grounds.