thirteen

aaliyah

i pushed past allen as we rushed to get inside the hospital. we'd finally made it there and my anxiety was at an all time high.

"don't push me!" allen complained

"shut up." uncle jaren said as we approached the desk of the receptionist quickly.

she popped her gum and looked up at us. "who y'all here for?" she asked with attitude

"can you please loose the attitude, aight?" i furrowed my eyebrows at her

"little ass g-"

"oh hell no, you will NOT disrespect my niece like that! you damn bald headed ho! i will be notifying your supervisor." uncle jaren began to say when she stood up

she began to yell at him and he snatched her up by her collar, making her come over the counter. she fell to the floor with a loud thud and the security came over.

"what's going on here?" the buff guy asked

"not a damn thing." allen sighed

the young girl looked at uncle jaren who was now mugging her from behind the desk.

"i-i only fell." the receptionist lied

"hmph." he said, walking away.

uncle jaren began typing as the young girl remained on the floor. he walked from behind the desk and spoke.

"they got her up in hospice, it's in the c's." he said as we began to follow him down the hallway.

"ain't that where people die at?" allen asked. i punched him in his arm.

"shut up." i told him as we got on the elevator. the ride seemed so long, i didn't know what to expect when we got up here. what if she was gone already and we made it too late.

the ding of the elevator knocked me out of my unhappy thoughts. we closely followed behind uncle jaren. allen looked over at me and held my hand.

he gave me a reassuring look as we approached her room door. uncle jaren opened it slowly and he gasped loudly. i walked in with my head down, i didn't want to look at her.

uncle jaren said a quick prayer to himself as he stood over her bed. he kept shaking his head & mumbling.

"i told you to stop." he mumbled "i told you to stop." and with that he stormed out the room, upset at the fact that his sister could possibly die.

she was in a unresponsive state. she couldn't do anything, but breathe. we could see the blood seeping through her wounds. it was a terrible sight to see.

allen couldn't even take one step up to the bed before he broke down. i caught him before he could fall to the ground & i just held him close to my heart. i rocked him like a baby as he weeped.

"lili, what if s-s." he couldn't finish his sentence

"don't say that." i told him as i held him "don't talk stupid."