fifteen

aaliyah

i sat on kim's plush carpet as she passed me her cordless phone. i was about to call dino and see where the hell him and shazam were, they didn't call or show up for school.

kimberly turned on janet jackson's i miss you much and danced around her room. now kimberly has barely any rhythm. i watched her closely as i waited for dino to answer the phone.

"hello?" dino's deep voice answered

"baby? it's aaliyah." i smiled. just hearing his voice made me want to melt.

"babygirl." he chuckled on the other line.

"why weren't you in school today?" i asked him, furrowing my eyebrows like he could see me.

"i'll tell anyone whose heart can comprehend!" kim yelled loudly. i motioned my hands to frantically make her shut up.

"we all overslept, see we got high last-night." he said to me. i could gear g.i & shazam in the background.

"dino!" i yelled "what did i tell you about smoking that stuff! it messes with your stamina and effects your ability to play sports." i sighed

"my stamina good, we went three rounds last week e-"

"ugh." i chuckled, while face palming myself.

"don't sigh n-" someone had snatched the phone from dino.

"kim!?" shazam yelled into the phone

"this is aaliyah boy." i said, rolling my eyes "kim?"

"huh?" she looked at me, while holding a cassette tape in her hand.

"your man is on the p-" she jumped over the bed, falling to the floor. i slowly handed her the phone as she sat up."shazam! baby!"

i got up from her floor and began to head to the bathroom. i walked through the dim light hallway, when someone began yelling.

"intruder!" the person screamed. they tackled me and put me in a headlock.

i began to gasp for air & hit the person's arm. "i-i ca-can't !" i choked out.

i'm assuming kim heard the commotion and ran out of her room. she dropped the phone and pushed the person off of me.

"yo! what the fuck is wrong with you?" she yelled at her 13 year old brother, who was now on the floor.

i coughed loudly and she rubbed my back. "you buggin' !" she yelled at him

"i thought she was robbing us!" he cried out

"shut the fuck-oh!" she yelled angrily "go to your room."

he mumbled an apology and slowly headed to his room. i leaned against the wall, with my hands on my knees. "that little nigga strong." i sighed

"sorry about that." she apologized as she grabbed me off of the wall.

we walked into the hot and humid gym room. music was banging, the starting basketball players were about to be announced. the whole atmosphere was bumpin'. before kim and i left the house, dino has informed us that coach call his house & told him he couldn't play tonight, so he would be sitting on the bench.