Chapter 9 - No Time Like The Present

Marlene groaned quietly as she stepped into Sirius's apartment the next day, still recovering from her injuries. He stood close behind her, his hands placed protectively on her waist.

"Are you okay? Let's get you to the couch and I'll make some tea," He soothed into her ear, causing her to shudder internally.

She glanced around as he led her to the couch, surprised to see that his home was now fully furnished.

"I'm fine, for the hundredth time." Marlene murmured as she caught his eye, carefully sitting down on the couch, resisting the urge to wince so her statement seemed true enough.

Sirius raised an eyebrow and shook his head disapprovingly as he grabbed a blanket, covering her with it before walking to the kitchen. She huffed quietly and played with a tendril of hair. She noticed how protective he suddenly was towards her and it was freaky, to say the least. Every move she made was scrutinised. Every cough was met by a worried face. He was more attentive than ever and Marlene wasn't opposed to it, surprisingly. However, the 'living together' situation was scaring her immeasurably. How the hell was she supposed to swallow an abundance of feelings towards a guy she was now living with?!

Sirius came out carrying a mug full of tea just how she liked it - milky with two sugars. He sat next to her and offered her the warm drink to which she thanked him graciously. He suddenly became very sheepish and run a hand through his hair.

"So, uh.. I wasn't sure where you wanted to sleep. Of course, I have the spare room, but I thought maybe.. Maybe you'd want to sleep in my room.." He trailed off quietly, watching her reaction.

Oh.

Marlene raised both eyebrows, her face flushing an endearing shade of crimson. Merlin, this whole thing was way too confusing. How could they be 'just casual' if they were living together? And possibly sleeping in the same bloody bed?! Not to mention the fact that he had saved her life only a few days ago.

"I-I.." For once in her life, she was at an utter loss for words. "Yeah, I guess so." She murmured after a while.

Sirius exhaled in relief, leaning back into the couch as he closed his eyes for a moment. He then leaned in closer and placed a gentle hand on her cheek, turning her head to look into his steel eyes.

"I would do anything to protect you, Marlene, you know that?" He breathed.

Marlene nodded quickly although she was slightly bewildered. It was like she was looking at a completely different person. Someone who had aged at least five years mentally. Someone who had finally realised the love of his life was sitting right in front of him. Someone who now knew there was no time like the present.

With that, he pressed his lips firmly against hers, grabbing a handful of blonde hair in his hand. The kiss told her everything she wanted to know in that moment. This was the man she wanted, now until death.