Chapter 2: the Glade

"The what?" You asked, confused.

"The Glade." The boy said.

"So... It's a giant cage that keeps us trapped?" You asked, shaking your head, "I don't get it."

The boy stared at you in disbelief, "You're not the least bit scared?" You just shook your head. "Well that's a shock,"

"What?" You asked, feeling irritated. "I don't even know your name, for Pete's sake."

"It's Thomas." He said, somehow that name seemed familiar to you. Like you've heard it before. Out of everything else, couldn't at least one thing make sense? The words they spoke was foreign to you, Greenie? Memory loss? Boys?

You looked over at Chuck as questions rushed out of your mouth. "What's a Greenie? Why does everyone call me that? Why can't I remember anything? Why are you all boys? Who was that girl I me-"

"Woah woah, I don't know much about that klunk." Chuck said, eyes wide. You knitted your brow at his outburst and opened your mouth to ask what klunk was but Thomas interjected.

"You don't want to know what that is, trust me." He said, holding his hand out. You just stared at him with a confused look. Thomas sighed. "Hey look, I'm new here, just like you so, I don't know much," he shrugged.

"He's right," Chuck knitted his eyebrows, "Shank."

"What's a Shank?" You tilted your head, curious to find out.

Chuck groaned, "You know you're much worse than Thomas here." Chuck said, patting Thomas who looked offended.

A metallic click in the branches caught your attention, you looked up to see what it was; a flash of silver and red light caught your eye before disappearing behind the tree trunk. You quickly stood up and walked around the tree, craning your neck to see what it was but only to find bare branches which stuck out like fingers; barely alive. You huffed out a breath in disappointment.

"That was one of them, beetle blades." Chuck said, you turned around to see both Chuck and Thomas standing next to each other.

You slowly nodded at Chuck, "A beetle what?"

"Beetle blade." Chuck said, pointing to the top of the tree, "Won't hurt ya unless you're well, stupid enough to touch them." Chuck ended, slyly. You gave him a dirty look before looking up once more.

"You hungry?" Chuck asked. You shook your head, not after everything that happened but your stomach betrayed you, growling loudly.

Chuck shrugged, "You'll feel better when you eat, trust me. Be back, ten minutes." He said, running off.

You leaned against the tree as you waited for Chuck. Your eyes scanned over the compound of the Glade. You knitted your eyebrows in confusion as you took notice of the four vast openings, each one had a corridor inside which looked exactly like the others. You turned around to look at Thomas, 'maybe it was a way out of here, but if it was, why were they still here?' You thought.

"Um Thomas?" You said, giving him a questioning look. He nodded his head at you, as if he was waiting for you to say something the whole time. "Why is everyone still here, isn't that a way out?" You asked, pointing at the opening.

Thomas's eyes widened but before he could say anything, Chuck came back with three sandwiches cradled in his arms along with apples and three metal cups of water.

"Frypan wasn't too happy about me invading the kitchen before supper time." He said handing you a sandwich.

"Frypan?" You asked, taking the sandwich and slid down the tree trunk. You hesitated, then took a bite out of it. The tastes of beef and cheese and mayonnaise filled your mouth. You let out a moan as you took another bite.