Chapter 4: bedtime thrill

All three of you ended up at the Deadheads. Both Chuck and Thomas sat down under a tree eagerly, looking like children about to get a lesson. You sighed and sat down in front of them.

"So, what happened? How did it go?" Thomas asked, his face a light shade of pink.

You knitted your brow. "Let's just say Alby was being grumpy throughout the whole tour. Groaning and sighing whenever I didn't understand something. And I think he doesn't like me one bit, it's almost as if he wants to get rid of me or something," you finished, giving them both your best sarcastic smile.

Chuck opened his mouth to say something when a loud boom interrupted him. You scrambled to your feet, almost on alert. You let out a sigh of relief when you realized that it was just the doors closing. You felt a little claustrophobic as the doors sealed shut for yet another night in the Glade.

"(Y/n), you know that it's just the doors closing, right?" Chuck asked, giving you a concerned smile as he stood up.

"Yeah, just got a little panicked?" You asked, letting out a shaky laugh. 'Note to self: try not to embarrass yourself all the time' You thought, playing with your fingers.

Both Thomas and Chuck exchanged looks before staring at you with different expressions. Chuck had a big grin on his face while Thomas had a worried look, almost like an 'oh-man' kind of look.

"Come on!" Chuck said, grabbing your hand. You looked over at Thomas with a quizzical look only to have him shrug. You followed Chuck across the open Glade as you looked over at the Animal Pens, workers bustled around; probably done for the day.

You ended up near the back of the Homestead in a dark shadow between the building and the stone wall behind it.

"Um...Chuck. Where are we going?" You asked, feeling a tad bit uneasy. "Chuck?"

"Just stay close." Chuck replied.

You let out a loud sigh before following the young boy along the back of the building. Chuck tiptoed until he came upon a small, dusty window, a soft beam of light shining through onto the stone and ivy. You could hear someone moving around inside.

"The bathroom." Thomas whispered. You completely forgot about him as he stood beside you.

"So?" You whispered back; a thread of unease stitched across your skin.

"I love doing this to people." Chuck grinned.

"Doing what?" Something told you that Chuck was up to no good. Yet, a small part of you, the reckless part, wanted to see it happen. " Maybe we shouldn't-"

"Just keep quiet and watch." Chuck quietly stepped up onto a wooden box that sat right under the window. He crouched so that he's head was positioned right where the person inside might see him. Then he reached up and lightly tapped on the glass.

"This is idiotic." You muttered. This wasn't the best time to play a joke-Alby or Newt could be in there for Pete sake. "I don't want to get in trouble. I barely spent a day here and Alby probably wants to murder me already!"

"He won't listen, trust me." Thomas whispered. You nodded at him.

Chuck suppressed a laugh by covering his mouth with his hand. Completely ignoring you, he tapped on the glass again.

A shadow crossed the light- then the window slid open. You jumped to hide, pressing yourself against the back of the building as hard as you could, knowing well that if the person looked over, you were as good as dead. Thomas did the same, his body mere inches from yours. You felt yourself blush as you continued hiding.

"Who's that!" The boy yelled. His voice scratchy and laced with anger. You recognized the voice but didn't know who it was.

Without warning, Chuck suddenly popped his head up toward the window and screamed at the top of his lungs. A loud crash from inside revealed that the trick had worked-and the litany of swearwords following it let you know that the boy was none too happy about it. You were struck with an odd mix of horror, embarrassment and excitement.

"I'm gonna kill you, shuck face!" The boy yelled, but Chuck was already off the box and running toward the open Glade, Thomas at his tail. You froze as you heard the boy open a door inside. You finally snapped out of your daze as you ran toward Chuck and Thomas.

You finally rounded a corner when a boy came running out of the Homestead looking like a ferocious beast. Your heart skipped a beat, but luckily, the boy didn't notice you. You were about to run when he pointed at you.

"Come here!" He yelled.

Your heart sank in surrender. "It wasn't me!" You blurted out before running as fast as your two legs could go.

"Come back! I said, Come back here!" His voice rang in your ears as you ran.

When you finally stopped to look back, he was gone. You let out a long breathe of relief as you bent over your knees. You heard shuffling and looked up to see Chuck standing in front of you, staring at the ground, clearly embarrassed.

"Thanks for the heads up." You said, your voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Sorry, if I'd known it was Gally-I wouldn't have done it, I swear."

Surprising Chuck, you laughed. A few minutes ago, you wouldn't think that such a sound would come out of you. "That was awesome!"

A couple hours later, you are lying on a bed in the Homestead. You wanted to stay with Chuck but it was too embarrassing to ask. Plus, being squeezed in between Chuck and Thomas wasn't the best idea. Tomorrow you would be trying jobs. You were both excited and scared about it. You searched your mind for memories, you could remember details like; eating, studying but, names, faces and specifics were all blurry in a mix of colors. Suddenly, you felt safe, better, that everything would be alright. As you fell into a world of darkness, you smiled at your new world.

***
Hi there!
Sorry for the wait. I realized that there aren't enough Newt moments. So that is why I'm going to dedicate the next chapter for Newt ;)
Please check out my new book 'Banished'
It's a maze runner fanfic too!
Bye!!!