Chapter 8: Alone.

You woke up to the sound of rustling. Your back and neck hurt like hell as you stood up. 'Note to self: try not to fall asleep everywhere you can.' You thought, rubbing your neck. Slowly, you made your way out of the Deadheads.

Light was slowly bathing the Glade. You looked up and noticed that something was wrong. 'The sun wasn't supposed to be that orange'

You could see Minho stretching near the doors. Almost immediately, you ached to go out to the Maze but something still felt off. Shrugging, you started running towards Minho when a hand grabbed you. You spun around so fast that you were sure you dislocated your neck.

"Hi." Thomas said nervously.

"Hi?" You replied, yesterday's events crossing your mind. 'Wait if Thomas is a runner that means...' You thought, "I know this is gonna sound crazy but can I follow you?" You quickly asked, taking Thomas by surprise.

"(Y/n). I can't-" you cut him off,

"Is it because I'm a girl?" You asked, placing your hands on your hips and giving him your best 'I-dare-you-to-say-yes' look.

Thomas stammered and started blushing.

"N-no! Of course not. But I can't let you come with me even if I wanted to."

"Fine." You huffed before turning around and stomping over to Minho.

"I'm coming with you." You said stubbornly,

"No way Greenie." Minho said, looking surprised but also irritated.

"Alright then, I'll go on my own." You folded your arms over your chest and started walking towards the Door when Minho grabbed your arm.

You turned to look at him, a smirk tugging on your lips. Minho gave an annoyed sigh, "There's no way I'll let you go there alone even though I'll enjoy watching the Grievers rip you to shreds," your eyes widened at Minho's confession. "But for some shucking reason I'll let you follow us."

"Really?" You asked, your eyes widening. Minho nodded and smirked at you, watching you jump around in joy.

You were finally gonna leave the shucking Glade for once. 'Wow. Now I start using their slangs. I guess that's a first.' You thought, shaking your head before hopping over to Thomas.

"Guess you're coming with us." Thomas smiled,

"I'm sorry, what's that? Are you trying to convince yourself?" You said, clapping a hand over your ear.

Thomas let out a sigh then shook his head and smiled at your silliness. You were finally going out to the Maze!

"I'm going in the Maze!" You jumped, "this is gonna be epic!"

***

"This is not epic." You panted, earning a chuckle from Minho followed by a 'you asked for it'. You turned round a corner and sprinted a bit to catch up with the others. You felt your breathing ragged and hoped that it was just jitters and would steady soon.

You were right beside Minho as he turned right and left without seeming to think about it, running all the while. 'Maybe this was a bad idea.' You wondered, following behind.

The early morning light had a sharp sheen about it, making everything look bright and crisp- the ivy, the cracked walls, the stone blocks of the ground. Though the sun had a few hours before hitting the noon spot above, there was plenty of light to see by. You kept up with Minho as best as you could, having to sprint every once in a while, to catch back up.

On you went. After you all ran for a while, Minho slowed down and stopped. "Break time." He swung his backpack to get some water and an apple.

You didn't have to be told twice as you flopped down not so gracefully. You took in a gulp of air and wiped off a layer of sweat from your eyebrows. Break time has never felt more like heaven. You shut your eyes for a while before opening them to find Thomas and Minho staring at you strangely.

"What?" You asked, snapping them back to reality.

"You look like klunk. Take this." Minho said, handing you a water bottle. You grabbed it and glared at him before taking a huge gulp, relishing the wet coolness as it went down your dry throat. Thomas passed you an apple and you thanked him before devouring the fruit.

Soon you all stood up and ran for two more hours, sprinkled with breaks here and there, getting shorter each time. Minho finally stopped for the last break and you drank from your water. Thomas and Minho started arguing about Thomas' huge feet.

"It's not that big." Thomas huffed, crossing his arms.

Minho laughed, "Shank, we could go canoeing in your shoes." You laughed along with Minho.

Something caught your eye. You stood up and crossed the corridor, heading for a dull glimmer of grey you just noticed behind the ivy on the wall, about head high.

You reached in and pulled apart the curtain of ivy, then stared blankly at a square of metal reverted to the stone with walls stamped across it in big capital letters. You put your hand out to run across them, a weird combination of disbelief, excitement and horror suddenly flooded through you.

WORLD IN CATASTROPHE:
KILLZONE EXPERIMENT DEPARTMENT

Then it hit you. WICKED. World In Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department. You were so excited that you spun around to say something when dread washed over you. For a moment, you felt like the world had frozen in place before realization hit you.

You were alone.

***
Hulo!
I am so so so sorry for not updating any sooner. It's just, life can really pull you here and there, I think? And my apologies once again for the crappy chapters. I promise to update as soon as possible.
Please point out any mistakes,
Bye!