Chapter 9: Lost in the Maze (1)

The mammoth walls that were intriguing a few seconds ago now seemed to look like enormous tombstones in a weed-infested cemetery for Giants.

Maybe it was a joke? You thought, Thomas and Minho were probably messing with you, but deep down, it just didn't feel right.

"Thomas? Minho?" You called out, "this isn't funny."

The silence was deafening as you waited for a response. It almost felt like it was laughing at you. You felt your heart drop and paranoia kicked in. You took a few shaky steps forward before breaking into a sprint.

"Thomas!" You screamed turning round another corridor, "Minho!"

No response.

"Tom!" You screamed louder, tears blurring your vision. The name was so familiar, it felt closer to something you knew, something like home.

You keep on running, slowing down bit by bit, your breaths coming out as loud gasps.

You stop and leant on the wall to catch your breath, before continuing to jog down the turns of the maze.

Then you heard it, it was loud and booming. At first you didn't understand what was going on before it clicked and you gasped in horror.

The doors were closing.

You broke into a sprint, following the sound. 'No no no no NO!' Your mind screamed at you, pushing you to go faster.

You took turns and twists trying to reach the Glade. 'No one has ever survived a night in the Maze,' Chucks voice drifted in your mind, 'well, except for Thomas. He had Minho with him and he's a shucking runner.'

You took a turn right and heard the impending boom that sealed your fate.

You were stuck in the Maze.

Darkness took over like a veil, as if the sun itself was frightened by what lurked in the maze.

All hopes of reaching the Glade alive drained out of you. Your running slowed down to a jog as you came closer to another turn. You staggered a bit before dropping on the hard stone.

It was just you and darkness as you stared off into space. You couldn't help but think how Chuck would have been telling you stories about the Glade if you weren't stuck. You smiled at the thought, remembering the way his eyes would light up whenever he told you about his latest prank, or when he tried to get Thomas to carry him.

You were lost in thought when you heard something. It was faint though, barely audible but you knew you heard it.

Fear took over you. Your heart began rapidly beating inside your chest. Your hands started getting sweaty and shook as you slowly lifted yourself from the stone floor and pressed your back hard against the wall.

It came again from deep within the Maze, a low, haunting sound. A constant whirring that had a metallic ring every few seconds, like sharp knives rubbing against each other. It grew louder by the second, and then a series of eerie clicks joined in. You thought of long fingernails tapping against glass. A hollow moan filled the air, and then something that sounded like the clanking of chains.

All of it, together, was horrifying, and the small amount of hope you didn't know you had begun to slip away.

You didn't know what it was or exactly where it came from but even in the dim light, one thing seemed clear. You had to move. Shakily, you started walking in the other direction before freezing.

The noises grew louder. The roar of engines interspersed with rolling, cranking sounds like chains hoisting machinery in an old, grimly factory. And then came the smell- something burning, oily. You couldn't begin to guess what was in store for you. And for the first time since you got lost, you regretted ever wanting to come in the maze.