Chapter 10: Lost in the Maze (2)

(Ps this chapter is crappy so heads up!)

The noise continued, getting louder and louder by the second. Your heart pumping faster than ever. This is it. You thought, your body completely shaking uncontrollably.

Suddenly, something clicked in you. You felt...braver. Stronger. You had to quit wasting time waiting for whatever-the-heck-that-was to come and end your life.

You turned and faced the wall, your mind swirling. 'I got myself into this mess," you thought, 'and I'm gonna get out.'

For the first time ever, you got a glimpse of who you were before.

Alright, maybe you weren't that brave but you had to try something. Running away won't help and not only was there the chance of getting more lost, but running toward the creatures instead of away from them. Besides, who knows how many of them were there.

You look up at the wall, the ivy. Chuck and Thomas never said anything about climbing up there. Still...

A plan formed in your mind. It all depended on the unknown abilities of the creature (and yourself). Besides, it was the only thing you could come up with at the moment.

A sharp crack echoed from within the Maze, followed by the crumpling sound of metal. Startled, you swung around to look, your mind so concentrated on an escape plan you momentarily shut out the threat; you searched all three directions of the Maze. Nothing was coming, but the sound was louder.

You could see bright flashes of light far away, bouncing off the night sky. You didn't want to meet the source of those lights, those sounds.

'All right,' you mentally prepared yourself, 'let's do this.' Grabbing a vine, you pulled it. The thing came lose and fell down with a thump. The thought of giving up crept into your mind before you smacked your head. 'Of course! Find a thicker vine, idiot.'

You jogged a few feet along the wall and find a thick growth of ivy covering the wall. You bent and grabbed a vine. It felt thicker and more solid than the one before. You tugged it and it held on. Excitement bubbled in you. You leapt forward and start climbing.

Your arms immediately burned at the effort and you began to slip. Your bum hit the ground hard and the sound of machine grew louder and closer by the second. You quickly stood up and started climbing but ended up on the stone ground again.

'No no no no no!' You thought, as you tried climbing again. Tears pricked your eyes. 'Please...'

Light flashed above your head. You looked up and almost screamed out loud- a beetle blade was only a few inches away from your face, its spindly legs poking through the ivy and somehow sticking to the stone. The red light of its eye was like a tiny sun; too bright to look at. You squinted and tried to focus on the beetle's body.

But then you saw the most chilling part. You'd already seen it before, back in the Glade when the beetle blade had scooted past you. Now it was confirmed: the red light from its eye cast a creepy glow on the six letters smeared across its torso, as if they had been written in blood:

WICKED.

You couldn't imagine why that one word would be stamped on the beetle blade, unless for the purpose of announcing to the Gladers that it was evil. Wicked.

You knew it had to be a spy for whoever had sent you here- Alby had told you as much, saying the beetles were how the creators watched you. You stilled yourself and held your breath, hoping it wouldn't give you away. Long seconds passed, your lungs screaming for air.

With a click and a clack, the beetle blade turned and scuttled off, disappearing into the ivy. You sucked in a huge gulp of air, then another.

A mechanical squeal screeched through the Maze, followed by the surge of revved machinery. You froze, your heart pumping.

And then something rounded the corner up ahead, something you thought you'd never seen before.

Something unspeakable.

Something horrifying.

Something like... A Griever.

***
Da dum....
Hullo!
I am so sorry for the long wait. It's just that I had no idea what to write so as an apology, here's this double update! I'll update the next part real soon, so bye!