Chapter 5: Friends?

You felt someone shake you. Your eyes snapped open to see a too-close face staring down at you, everything around you still shadowed by the darkness of early morning. You opened your mouth to scream but a cold hand clamped down on it, gripping it shut. Panic flared through you until you saw who it was.

"Shh, Greenie. Don't wanna be wakin' the Glade, now, do we?"

It was Newt. His face was mere inches from yours. You could feel the warmth of his breathe on your face as you blushed deep red.

Although you were surprised, any alarm went down. You nodded quickly, running out of breath.

"Come on, Greenie." The tall boy whispered as he stood. He reached down and helped you to your feet- he was so strong that he could rip your arm off. "Supposed to show ya something."

Your mind was still hazy from sleep. "Okay." You nodded, not quite sure what was happening. You knew you should hold some suspicion, not ready to trust JUST anyone yet, but your curiosity won out.

"Just follow me and stay close."

You snuck your way downstairs, Newt ahead of you. Once you left the Homestead and stepped onto the hard-gray stone of the courtyard floor. Newt broke into a run, heading to the western wall. You hesitated, then groaned and followed at the same pace.

Somehow you caught up to Newt before he reached the wall. Noticing your drowsy state, he slowed down to a brisk pace.

"You know you could have let me sleep." You groaned, rubbing your eyes. "What's so important that you want to show me..."

You could hear Newt chuckle ahead of you. "Come on."

"I swear if it's not good enough, I'm gonna make you pay." You yawned; any lingering haze of sleep completely vanished from your mind as you noticed that Newt was frowning.

"Um... Did I say something wrong?" You asked, feeling a little worried. Your worry was replaced with anger as Newt just ignored you. "Newt?" Nothing. You were frustrated at this point.

You grabbed his hand and stopped abruptly. "Hey! You can't just wake someone up and ignore them." You frowned at him.

Newt mumbled something under his breathe. "What?" You asked, curious and a bit irritated to find out.

"It's nothing." Newt replied, his accent lacing each of his words.

Feeling irritated. You stomp over to the nearest tree and flopped down. Newt scratched his nape before walking over to you.

"(Y/n). What are you doing?" He asked, towering over you.

You just ignored him and looked away. You could hear Newt groan as he sat down beside you. Smirking at your little victory, you turn around to face him. Without a second thought, you jumped back at the close proximity between you two.

"What the heck, Newt!" You asked, feeling a little freaked out.

"What?" He asked innocently, but you knew he was just teasing you. You huffed out a breath and frowned, sitting back.

"Aww, is Greenie angry?" Newt poked you. You just pulled yourself away. Before you knew it, Newt started tickling you.

"Stop it! Stop! Newt!" You laughed out as he slowly took his hands away. "Thanks." You breathed out, sitting up. Apparently, you fell down when Newt started tickling you. You looked back at Newt only to stare at him, mouth agape.

The sunrise had already started. Its rays touching the Glade. The light highlighted Newt's features as he smiled at the rising sun. Newt turned around to look at you, still smiling. You just kept on staring.