Chapter 12: Lost in the Maze (4)

It wasn't easy in the dark.

Heat crawled up your legs as you ran. You didn't need to look behind to know the Griever was gaining on you with every passing second. The sounds gave it away.

Right, then left. Down another corridor, then right again. Left. Right. Two lefts. Another long corridor. At least, that's what it seemed like.

Your heart was ready to blow out of your chest any minute. The sound of the Griever behind you didn't help either. You take a sharp turn left, grabbing the wall before pushing yourself forward.

Think. Think. THINK!

"WHY DO I ALWAYS GET MYSELF INTO THESE BLOODY SITUATIONS?!?!?!?" You turned right and shouted. "HELP!!" "HELP! ANYBODY!! HELP!!!"

You jumped when the Griever moaned, close enough to grab you. You sped up and took a quick turn right, the smell of burning oil gagging you. You risked a glance back to see if the Griever was close.

Pushing yourself to move faster, your mind raced with questions and thoughts. How long will it take for it to catch up? Am I gonna end up being Griever food? HOW THE SHUCK DO I LOSE IT!?

You turned left and felt your heart stop. A little way down the path was another Griever, and it seemed just as surprised as you were. You stared at the Griever, too shocked to do anything else.

A screech tore through the air, loud and mechanic. With a jolt you realized you had forgotten about the Griever behind you. Spinning around, you found it slowly rolling towards you, its mechanical arm opening and closing. It almost felt like it was mocking you.

You looked between the two Grievers that were slowly advancing on you. Your heart seemed to remember its place and began beating furiously. The only sound besides the mechanical whirling of the monsters closing in on you. A fear you had never known filled you to the point of insanity. You slowly backed to the stone wall, running out of ideas. The Grievers were only a few feet away, they were almost on you. It seemed like they were slowly savouring every second of your defeat, the thought ignited a rage in you.

You win! Just kill me already! You thought furiously, but the Grievers seemed to ignore your command, slowly moving towards you.

Then you did something you never thought you'd ever do. You ran to the closet Griever.

The ugly thing retracted just an inch, stopped moving its claw, as if shocked by your boldness. Taking heart in this slight falter, you ran faster as you charged.

The Griever came to life, spikes popping out of its skin; it rolled forward, ready to collide head-on with its foe. The sudden movement almost made you stop, your brief moment of insane rage-fueled courage washing away, but you kept running.

At the last second before collision, just as you got a close look at the metal and hair and slime, you planted your right foot and dove to the left. Unable to stop its momentum, the Griever zoomed straight past you before it shuddered to a halt-you noticed the thing was moving a lot faster now. A memory flitted through your head, gone before you could even grasp what it meant. With a metallic howl, the Griever swiveled and readied to pounce on you. But now, no longer surrounded, you had a clear shot away, back down the path.

You scrambled to your feet and sprinted forward. Sounds of pursuit, this time from both Grievers, followed close behind. Sure that you were pushing your body beyond its physical limits, you ran on, trying to rid yourself of the hopeless feeling that it was only a matter of time before they got you.