Chapter 11: Lost in the Maze (3)

You stared in horror at the monstrous thing making its way down the long corridor of the Maze.

It looked like an experiment gone terribly wrong- something from a nightmare. Part animal, part machine, the Griever rolled, clicked and moaned along the stone pathway. Its body resembled a gigantic slug, sparsely covered in hair and glistening slime, grotesquely pulsating in and out as it breathed. It had no distinguishable head or tail.

But hair and spikes weren't the only things protruding from the Griever's body. Several randomly placed mechanical arms stuck out here and there, each one for a different purpose. You wondered what- or who -could create such frightening, disgusting creatures.

The Griever continued moving, curling into a ball before rolling, stopped, its mechanical arms protruding before it repeated over again.

Please go the other way, you silently pleaded.

Turn.

Go.

That way.

Please!

It stopped. The beams of light from the creature shone all over the place, completely random, never settling in one spot.

Then, without warning, it went out.

The world turned instantly dark and silent. It was as if the creature had turned off. It didn't move, made no sound- even the haunting groans had stopped completely. And with no more lights, you couldn't see a single thing.

You were blind.

You took small breathes through your nose; your pumping heart needed oxygen desperately. Could it hear you? Smell you?

Then, in a sudden burst of light and sound, the Griever came to light and started rolling towards you. You felt the last drop of hope drain from you and did the only thing possibly sane at the moment;

You ran.