Chapter 3: tours and gladers?

You wake up to someone shaking you. "Wake up," the voice said, barely above a whisper, you just groaned loudly, eyes shut.

"Wake up!" The voice yelled, making you jolt up so fast it made your vision blurry, you turned around to see Chuck smiling at you innocently as though he didn't scare the crap out of you.

"Come on, no slackin'." he grinned, walking out.

You groaned loudly as you got out of bed, still in the clothes you first arrived here in, tying your hair back, you walk outside only to be blinded by the light.

***

You walk around aimlessly, not knowing where to go. Chuck kind of disappeared when you came out, somehow you ended up at the metallic box that brought you here. You bent over trying to get a look inside.

"Ain't nothin' in there, Greenie." You turned around sharply to find Alby standing with his arms crossed. Before you could say anything, Alby spoke,

"Me and you greenie, let's get this tour started." Alby began to move but stopped abruptly, "and no questions till we're done."

You just nodded hesitantly. "Would you mind explaining everything?"

Alby sighed, then pointed at the metal doors of the box. "This here's the Box. Once a month we get a Newbie unlike you. Once a week, we get supplies, clothes, some food. Ain't needin' a lot-pretty much run ourselves in the Glade."

You nodded, trying to keep up.

"We don't know jack about the Box, you get me?" Alby continued. "Where it came from, how it gets here, who's in charge. The shanks that sent us here ain't told us nothin'. We got all the electricity we need, grow and raise most of our food, get clothes and such. Tried to send a slinthead Greenie back in the Box one time, thing wouldn't move till we took him out."

You stood there, trying to absorb it all. You felt a mixture of emotions; frustration, curiosity, all in all with a bit of confusion from the foreign words. 'What does shank mean? What is a slinthead? What on earth were we sent here for?' You thought.

Alby kept talking, never bothering to even spare you a glance. "Glade's cut into four sections." He held up his fingers as he counted off the next four words. "Gardens, Blood House, Homestead, Deadheads. You got that?"

You hesitated, then shook your head.

Alby let out a low groan and continued; probably thinking about all the things he could be doing right now. He pointed to the northeast corner, where fields and fruit trees were located. "Gardens- where we grow the crops. Water's pumped in through pipes in the ground- always has been or we'd have starved to death a long time ago. Never rains here. Never." He pointed at the southeast corner, at the animal pens and barn. "Blood House- where we raise and slaughter animals." He pointed at the pitiful living quarters. "Homestead- stupid place is twice as big than when the first of us got here because we keep addin' to it when they send us wood and klunk. Ain't pretty but works. Most of us sleep outside anyway."

You felt dizzy. So many questions raced in your mind you couldn't keep them straight.

Alby pointed to the southwest corner, the forest area fronted with several sickly trees and branches. "Call that the Deadheads. Graveyard's back in that corner, in the thicker woods. Ain't much else. You can go there to sit and rest, hangout whatever." You stared at the Deadheads,

'Why is there a graveyard with a bunch of teenagers?' You felt cold chills run down your spine. Alby cleared his throat, as if wanting to change subjects. "You might as well spend the next two weeks working one day apiece for our different job Keepers- until we know what you're best at. Ain't letting you slip out just cause you're a girl. Somethin'll stick, always does. Come on."