EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆

It's been a week since the discovery of Jason Blossom's body. But his death is not the first. Nor would it be the last casualty that the town of Riverdale would suffer. The Twilight Drive-In, where Jughead Jones works, his home away from home, a piece of town history, is closing for good just when we needed to a place to escape to the most.

With Sheriff Keller Knocking on every door and neighbour suspecting neighbour, Riverdale, every day that passes, is becoming more like Salem during the witch trials.

"The drive-in closing, it's just one more nail in the coffin that is Riverdale," Jughead complained as he sat in a booth at Pop's with Betty, Nora, Veronica and Kevin. Nora was sipping on her chocolate milkshake as she listened to her best friend, yelling through her ears, "No. Forget Riverdale. In the coffin of the American dream," Jughead continued as he began bouncing his leg, causing Nora to get more and more irritated by the second.

"As the godfather of indie cinema, Quentin Tarantino, like to say -" Jughead was cut off by the groaning Nora sitting beside him, "No, no, no!" Nora groaned burrowing her head into Betty's shoulder. "Please, God, no more Quentin Tarantino references," Kevin pleaded. Jughead stopped bouncing his foot off of the ground and turned to Kevin.

"What? I'm pissed," Jughead stated.

"And not just about losing my job. The Twilight Drive-In should mean something to us. People should be trying to save it," Jughead argued.

Veronica sighed and leaned forward glancing at Nora before turning her head in Jughead's direction, "In this age of Netflix and VOD, do people really want to watch a movie in a car? I mean who even goes there?" Veronica told Jughead, making a point which Nora didn't want to admit. "People who want to buy crack," Kevin said staring at Veronica.

Jughead shook his head and leaned forward slightly, "And cinephiles and car enthusiasts, right, Nore?" Jughead said turning to his best friend who was half-paying attention to the conversation. "Bets?" Jughead glanced over at the two girls who were sitting beside him. "Absolutely," Nora agreed before yawning and taking another sip of her milkshake.

"Totally," Betty agreed, not fully knowing what was going on.

"Anyway, it's closing because the town owns it but didn't invest in it. So when an anonymous buyer made Mayor McCoy an offer she couldn't refuse-" Jughead was cut off once again by the glamorous raven-haired girl sitting across from him, "Anonymous buyer?" Veronica repeated in disbelief, "what do they have to hide? No one cares."

"I do!" Jughead snapped.

Everyone stopped as Jughead calmed himself. "You guys should all come to closing night. I'm thinking American Graffiti," Jughead suggested, "or is that too obvious," he said with a sad tone in his voice. Nora raised her eyebrows and shook her head, "Good movie, but, yeah, too obvious," Nora said muttering the last part.