FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆

"Did I just notice Riverdale High's very own Holden Caulfield put his arm around you?" Veronica said shocked at the cute scene between Betty and Jughead. Veronica stood beside a smirking Nora as she drank her coffee that was in her hand. Betty gave a small smile, blushing slightly while folding her arms.

Betty looked around before looking at her two friends, "Okay, so the past couple of days, I haven't been in a great place, emotionally," Betty began as Nora nodded agreeing with her before sighing, her thoughts drifting toward the incident the other week. "And Jughead was really there for me."

Veronica raised her eyebrows, a smile growing on her face as she turned to Nora, who had the same facial expression. "Oh, my God. Swoon," Veronica said causing Betty to laugh. "Oh, so that's why I've been alone at the diner all week," Nora joked causing Betty to give her a guilty smile.

"Sorry," she apologised. Nora shook her head, a light chuckle escaping her mouth. "No, it's fine. I had a great time bonding with Pop," Nora said as Betty and Veronica laughed. "More than usual?" Betty chuckled as Veronica had a confused expression sitting on her face.

Nora turned to Veronica, "I was a very lonely child."

Veronica laughed but not before the two held there gaze on each other as their laughs died down. Betty's eyebrows raised as she looked at the two. Feeling awkward, Betty cleared her throat catching Veronica's attention causing her to break the gaze between her and Nora and turn to Betty.

"Okay, in that case, if he helped my girl navigate some turbulent waters...well then Veronica Lodge approves," Veronica said with a toothy smile. Betty shrugged her shoulders. "Thatta girl. Come on," Veronica said, linking her arms with Nora and Betty, "Let's go find your sister," Veronica said before turning the corner.

"You guys, oh, my God!" Kevin Keller had approached the trio, his phone at hand. Betty glanced at the two girls, a concerned look on her face before looking at Kevin, "What?"

"Cheryl just tweeted, "Hashtag 'Polly Cooper killed my brother,' hashtag 'nowhere to hide,' hashtag 'sharpen your pitchforks'"?" Betty's eyes widened as she took his phone from Kevin, looking at the tweet, "Oh, no." Betty paused for a moment as she read and re-read over the tweet.

"We need to find Polly before the Blossoms do."

◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆

Betty and Jughead stood in front of a group of their friends in the middle of the woods. All wore heavy coats, all freezing from the cold weather. "Okay, the Sisters of Quiet Mercy are due north," Betty said to the group, "The getaway car was west on the old Route forty."

"Closest bus station is east, headed toward Sweetwater," Jughead spoke. "If Polly wanted to leave Riverdale without being seen she probably would've left through right--"Jughead was cut off by Betty, outstretching her arms and pointing to the ground beneath her, "Right here. Eversgreen Forest."